Whitney Houston, superstar of records, films, dies

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

whitney-houston-superstar-records-films-dies-005927033.htmlYahoo News:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale."

She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy," Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.

It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

________

Wow...I remember when she was at her peak.

it is a shame when she first started or at least when I first seen her video she was young, full of energy and happy then she meet and married Bobby Brown and all went down hill from there

http://www.thesun.co...e-for-wear.html

Where were her friends? Why didn't someone see what was happening and try to help her?

Unfortunately, we generally don't see old drug addicts and alcoholics.

Money, drugs and alcohol just don't mix well.

That article is from yesterday... weird to read the comments about her condition. One even says we may have another Winehouse on our hands if she does not clean up her act.

I remember seeing an interview with Oprah years ago shortly before she married Bobby Brown. I was shocked by the rapid change in her demeanor and attitude. She was high as a kite and as low class as a two-bit street walker. I thought then that Bobby Brown was a horrific addition to her life and was a horrible influence on her. What a shame. By beholding we changed. I am so sad she chose him.

http://www.thesun.co...e-for-wear.html

Where were her friends? Why didn't someone see what was happening and try to help her?

Unfortunately, we generally don't see old drug addicts and alcoholics.

Money, drugs and alcohol just don't mix well.

Can't say about her friends, but her mom tried.

She admitted she would smoke marijuana and crack cocaine at the same time, and revealed her mother had to stage an intervention involving armed police to save her.

Dionne Warwick and Cissy Houston spoke with Whitney Houston by phone just before she died and say Whitney seemed fine ... TMZ has learned.

Whitney's mother, Cissy Houston, spoke with her daughter 25-30 minutes before she died and nothing seemed unusual ... sources tell TMZ. We're told they talked about attending the Clive Davis pre-Grammy party.

Dionne Warwick, Whitney's cousin, called as well ... several hours before Whitney died ... to make sure they were sitting at the same table at Clive's party. And again ... there were no signs of trouble.

It isn't necessarily the drugs that killed her at that moment...but the body can only take so much abuse. When the soul is lost as well. Dang.

Drugs may not been the cause of death, but it is hard to imagine drowning in one's bathtub without being under the influence of something.