Suggested Recipe: Dark Choc Brownies / Salted Caramel / Choc Ganache

Chickadee

Dark Choc Brownies / Salted Caramel / Choc Ganache

Transatlantic

by Tartelette

Makes 16 servings (you can even cut the bars tinier if you want)

Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownie base:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper or foil, leaving a 2 inch overhang on to sides (you pick). Coat with cooking spray or a dab of butter.

Melt together butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Remove the bowl from heat and stir until smooth. Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Add the flour mix and beat until just incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in the walnuts with a spatula.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and smooth top with an spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownie between edge and center comes out with a few crumbs, 30 to 35 minutes, depending on your oven (Do not overbake.) Let cool 15 minutes; lift out of pan, and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely. Line a 9×9 inch square pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Cut your brownie base to fit inside the square pan, and set it down as your first layering component. Munch on the leftover or cut in little bites and cover with ganache for instant petits fours. Proceed to the rest of the recipe.

Milk Chocolate and Salted Butter Caramel Mousse Layer:

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 Tb water

2 Tb salted butter, room temperature

1 cup heavy cream, divided

6 oz (3/4 cup) milk chocolate

Measure 3/4 cup of cream and refrigerate, this portion will be used to make whipped cream so keep it well chilled. In a microwave or small saucepan, heat the 1/4 cup remaining until it is fairly hot. It will be added to the caramel and by being hot it will prevent the caramel from seizing on you and clumping up.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in an heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Set aside.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the sugar to the water over medium high heat and cook, without stirring until you get a dark brown caramel. Take the pan off the heat and add the butter and 1/4 cream. It will bubble like mad but it will not run over….if the butter and cream are not cold the bubbling will be minimal and short lived. Stir with a wooden spoon to smooth the caramel if necessary. Let it cool to lukewarm. Add the caramel to the chocolate and stir until smooth.

Whip the remaining heavy cream to soft peaks in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Fold 1/3 of the whipped cream to the chocolate/caramel to loosen it up and then add the remaining whipped cream. Spread over the brownie base and refrigerate until completely set.

Dark Chocolate Ganache:

1/2 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup dark chocolate

In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer, remove from the heat. Add the chocolate to the cream and let sit for 5 minutes. Slowly stir the heavy cream and chocolate until they come together and form a shiny ganache. Let cool. You want the ganache to still be pourable but not too warm that it will melt the mousse.

Spread it over the caramel mousse and refrigerate until set.

To serve: lift the dessert out of the pan and trim the sides with a sharp knife (heated under hot water and wiped dry works great too), cut into the desired number of servings and enjoy.

View full recipe

I just read today that if you use whizzed up black beans instead of oil and eggs in chocolate you can cut the calories without losing any taste and texture.

So I may have to try that on this recipe. It'll be health food that way!

Oh my gosh -- I had to print that out!

Did you use Print View form the recipe itself? If not goto the recipe and in the upper right is Print View, click it and print.

I just read today that if you use whizzed up black beans instead of oil and eggs in chocolate you can cut the calories without losing any taste and texture.

Please define "whizzed up black beans"

Ha. From the last thread to this...funny.

:lol: In my defense, I sat her for 60 seconds trying to think of the best euphemism for "whizzed up" I could find. I finally gave up and decided that in a day the context will be just fine.

At least our minds run in the same gutter.

:unsure: Wait. I didn't mean that.

laugh.png In my defense, I sat her for 60 seconds trying to think of the best euphemism for "whizzed up" I could find. I finally gave up and decided that in a day the context will be just fine.

At least our minds run in the same gutter.

unsure.png Wait. I didn't mean that.

Could not be in the gutter with a finer woman.

tongue.png

Did you use Print View form the recipe itself? If not goto the recipe and in the upper right is Print View, click it and print.

No -- thanks for the reminder, @clearvision.

Edited to add: I can't see Print View in the upper right, or anywhere else for that matter.huh.png

No -- thanks for the reminder, @clearvision.

Edited to add: I can't see Print View in the upper right, or anywhere else for that matter.huh.png

Print Previous found here

I guess what I would be asking is "How do I find that version?"

@nickydog, if you go to the cooking forum and click on cooking you will come up with a list of recent posts. Instead of clicking on the post itself, click on "See All Recipes" in the upper left hand corner.

In this case, you click on "desserts" and you will get a list of all dessert recipes posted. Once you find the one you are looking for, click on it. And you will be able to use the "print view"

It's sort of the front door to the recipe. The way we've been looking at it is through the kitchen door so to speak.

I hope that helps!

That is also where this thread is generated from. When @Chickadee added this recipe to the data base, it generates a thread for discussion in Special Interests.

Community on the sidebar takes you to gallery_3_42_823.jpg