The Gospel According to Obama

Geee

gospel-according-obama-charles-krauthammerNational Review:

Comments 4

Charles Krauthammer

At the National Prayer Breakfast last week, seeking theological underpinning for his drive to raise taxes on the rich, President Obama invoked the highest possible authority. His policy, he testified “as a Christian,” “coincides with Jesus’ teaching that for unto whom much is given, much shall be required.’”

Now, I’m no theologian, but I’m fairly certain that neither Jesus nor his rabbinic forebears, when speaking of giving, meant some obligation to the state. You tithe the priest, not the taxman.

The Judeo-Christian tradition commands personal generosity as represented, for example, by the biblical injunction against retrieving any sheaf left behind while harvesting one’s own field. That is for the gleaners — “the poor and the alien” (Leviticus 19:10). Like Ruth in the field of Boaz. As far as I can tell, that charitable transaction involved no mediation by the IRS.

Advertisement

But no matter. Let’s assume that Obama has biblical authority for hiking the marginal tax rate exactly 4.6 points for couples making more than $250,000 (depending, of course, on the prevailing shekel-to-dollar exchange rate). Let’s stipulate that Obama’s prayer-breakfast invocation of religion as vindicating his politics was not, God forbid, crass, hypocritical, self-serving electioneering, but a sincere expression of a social-gospel Christianity that sees good works as central to the very concept of religiosity.Scissors-32x32.png

righteousmomma

Their vocation is universal, precisely the kind of universal love-thy-neighbor vocation that is the very definition of religiosity as celebrated by the Gospel of Obama. Yet according to the Gospel of Sebelius, these very same Catholic institutions are not religious at all — under the secularist assumption that religion is what happens on Sunday under some Gothic spire, while good works are “social services” that are properly rendered up unto Caesar.

This all would be merely the story of contradictory theologies, except for this: Sebelius is Obama’s appointee. She works for him. These regulations were his call. Obama authored both gospels.

Therefore: To flatter his faith-breakfast guests and justify his tax policies, Obama declares good works to be the essence of religiosity. Yet he turns around and, through Sebelius, tells the faithful who engage in good works that what they’re doing is not religion at all. You want to do religion? Get thee to a nunnery. You want shelter from the power of the state? Get out of your soup kitchen and back to your pews. Outside, Leviathan rules.

I have opined for a few years here on the goals and meaning behind the left taking control of the Country. The leftist ideology is societal - effects every aspect of our life from the culture itself to religion, politics, business, schools, health - you name it.

What fascinates me about this is how blind, deaf and plain deluded are the ones still falling for all this absolute poison.

If a brilliant "non-religious Jew" who has criticized "Intelligent Design" and called for a scientific conclusion on evolution like Krauthammer, who is also a fiscal conservative and a libertarian in social issues, can see the evil in this one isolated move by Sebelius and Obama and their ilk why in the Name of all that is Holy can he not see the BIG Picture!!!!

Why cannot the fools still supporting Obama .......

never mind....

"nuff ranting!

righteousmomma

Gospel means Good News. and that speech was no Gospel

It certainly was not. I get your meaning but , while I am ranting, might as well add that what we have before us is social justice through the guise of liberation theology - black and white.

These adherents are everywhere -- mainline denominations - Protestant and Catholic on. They are all for the meaning of a crucified Jesus who was an advocate for the poor and oppressed but have absolutely no concept of the risen resurrected Christ Jesus who is GOD. They live life on the left side of the cross with the unrepentant criminal still bound to earth and flesh instead of victory on the right side in Spirit and Truth and Reconciliation..

Gospel means Good News. and that speech was no Gospel

It certainly was not. I get your meaning but , while I am ranting, might as well add that what we have before us is social justice through the guise of liberation theology - black and white.

These adherents are everywhere -- mainline denominations - Protestant and Catholic on. They are all for the meaning of a crucified Jesus who was an advocate for the poor and oppressed but have absolutely no concept of the risen resurrected Christ Jesus who is GOD. They live life on the left side of the cross with the unrepentant criminal still bound to earth and flesh instead of victory on the right side in Spirit and Truth and Reconciliation..

Here is the problem as I see it. Many Christians, particularly those on the left, they put the cart (helping the poor & oppressed) before the horse (Salvation).

This goes back to the beginning James 2:18 "But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." (NIV)

Yes we are called by Christ to do these things to show our faith and our love. The problem comes when we sell our souls (faith trust in Christ) to Government. As many in the Mainline Churches have done IMO. If you don't support the Welfare State you're not being true to your faith...at least that is what I here. Many religious churches have sold their soul to caesar for a bowl of pottage, and a pretty thin cold bowl at that.

Newt 5talked about this, and said (I paraphrase)..."if we are going to reduce government to its proper size that means you and I are going to have to step up and do more." When this happens one of the things it will mean is we will all have to take seriously the verse "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required". Of course that also means those on the receiving end will have responsibilities also...get up off their asses and do something.

I now return you to the real world. Be sure to visit our gift shop where we have many over priced items.

Fantastic commentary @Valin and @righteousmomma. Thanks for taking the time to put it down. I often have this discussion with well meaning leftist friends who have a difficult time separating government intervention with doing the right thing.Discussions of this here, make it easier for me to collect my thoughts and add to my perspectives. Thank you.

Now, lets see. Did someone say gift shop?

@Valin-I think that on the whole this may be the reason why it seems that conservatives give more to charity than liberals. Conservatives do it out of their moral duty- I think liberals think they are doing their duty through what the government gives. So in a way conservatives give twice, through their charitable contributions and through their forced contributions to the government-better known as taxeswacko.png

Fantastic commentary @Valin and @righteousmomma. Thanks for taking the time to put it down. I often have this discussion with well meaning leftist friends who have a difficult time separating government intervention with doing the right thing.Discussions of this here, make it easier for me to collect my thoughts and add to my perspectives. Thank you.

Now, lets see. Did someone say gift shop?

Why Yes! We have very many over price shoddily made items.

And as a bonus they are all made in over crowded sweatshops by little children in 4th world dictator ruled countries. So buy a lot, that way you'll keep your (evil) right wing bona fides high.

@Valin-I think that on the whole this may be the reason why it seems that conservatives give more to charity than liberals. Conservatives do it out of their moral duty- I think liberals think they are doing their duty through what the government gives. So in a way conservatives give twice, through their charitable contributions and through their forced contributions to the government-better known as taxeswacko.png

Yup! It's also why (speaking for myself) we keep a close eye on how the money is spent.