South Carolina sues Obama administration over voter ID law

Valin

sns-rt-us-southcarolina-voteridtre81700b-20120207,0,4401100.storyReuters:

Harriet McLeod

February 7, 2012

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) - South Carolina's attorney general sued President Barack Obama's administration on Tuesday over the federal government's rejection of the state's new voter identification law, arguing it would not disenfranchise any potential voters.

The Obama administration in December blocked South Carolina's law, signed by Republican Governor Nikki Haley in May, because of concerns it would hurt the ability of members of minority groups to cast ballots.

The law requires voters to show either a driver's license, passport or military identification along with a voter registration card at the polls. But a provision also allows them to vote without a photo ID if they sign an affidavit.

(Snip)

I was wondering how the JD could just tell a state no, without going to court or anything....

From the article:

South Carolina is also one of several states that must have clearance from the federal government before changing voting laws because of its past record of using mechanisms such as literacy tests to suppress the black vote.

I was wondering how the JD could just tell a state no, without going to court or anything....

From the article:

South Carolina is also one of several states that must have clearance from the federal government before changing voting laws because of its past record of using mechanisms such as literacy tests to suppress the black vote.

A legacy of the Civil Rights Voting Act of 1965. Think of the hue and cry that would go up, imagine trying to amend this bill....BOOM!

But a provision also allows them to vote without a photo ID if they sign an affidavit.

Also if South Carolina is successful, it will allow them to discriminate against the illiterate without photo IDs.

rolleyes.gif

I guess this guy is hosed then too...

invisible-man.jpg

Not sure if the South Carolina law speaks to members of the indiscernible community. While I haven't actually looked I don't recall The Constitution mentioning them. Obviously this is just one more example of the prejudices of the Founders/Framers.