Former Indiana Secretary of State Charlie White calls voter fraud verdict 'a travesty'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

former-indiana-secretary-state-charlie-white-calls-voter-fraud-verdict-travestyFox News:

Calling the jury verdict, "a travesty," Indiana's former top elections official vows to appeal the decision that found him guilty of multiple counts of voter fraud that resulted in his temporary removal from office.

Republican Secretary of State Charlie White was charged with illegally registering to vote at his ex-wife’s house, and was convicted on six of seven felony voter-related counts in the early hours Saturday morning by a Hamilton County jury in Noblesville, Ind., just north of Indianapolis.

"I found out that Indiana is a land of men and not of law," White said in an exclusive Fox News interview, contending that the jury was not given the full instructions on the charges by prosecutors.

"What I think happened yesterday was a total miscarriage of justice and a perversion. The law allows me to do everything I did and the jury not get all the law."

White had insisted that he spent four nights a week at the home, with his ex-wife's blessing, because his son lived there and that he and his fianceé did not want to live together before they married. Prosecutors claimed that he actually intended to live at a condo he bought for his fianceé that was out of the local town council district that he represented.

"At the end of the day, here's what I did," White said. "I was in love. I wasn't married yet. All I wanted to do was get my fianceé out of her parents' home while I was on the campaign trail, wanted her to stay with me and keep the relationship together. I bought a place for her and her kids to live in, but we agreed not to live together until we got married, because I was a former family law attorney. I knew how hard it can be when you are blending in three children, from two different marriages, and now I suppose the Indiana election law trumps me being able to raise my children and step-children the way that we want to."

Shortly after the verdict, Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels appointed a White deputy, Jerry Bonnet, as White's temporary replacement. Convicted felons are not allowed to serve in public office under Indiana law, and White's legal team will move to try and have the felony convictions reduced to misdemeanors, meaning that White would be able to remain in office.

But the Indiana Democratic Party wants the man White beat to take the job.

"Charlie committed a crime and will be punished for that crime," said a statement from the state party that said in part, "it is obvious that Mitch Daniels will try anything to take back this fraudulent election, but there's only one thing that should happen now: Vop Osili should become secretary of state, and we should put the embarrassment that is Charlie White behind us."

________

He's a crook, but he's their crook...