A World Tax? Keep Your Eyes on the Internet

Geee

a_world_tax_keep_your_eyes_on_the_internet.htmlAmerican Thinker:

The United Nations is finally moving toward the creation of a world tax:

"No one should live below a certain income level," stated Milos Koterec, President of the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. "Everyone should be able to access at least basic health services, primary education, housing, water, sanitation and other essential services."

These services were presented at the forum as basic human rights equal to the rights of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

The money to fund these services may come from a new world tax.

May come from a world tax? Try will come from a world tax. When the internet was in its infancy -- actually, it's still in its infancy, but it's growing like gangbusters -- I used to tell my strategy students at the University of Virginia to keep their eyes on the internet. At the time, our elected officials had decided not to tax purchases made over the internet to permit it to grow unhindered by cumbersome government restrictions, specifically taxes.

I told my students that one day, governments around the world would demand the creation of an internet tax to fund various things such as a global welfare system like the one that we have in the United States and a global police force/army with enforcement powers. The internet is the perfect vehicle to fund such programs because it's global in nature and it's easily accessible to anyone with a computer or a smartphone no matter where he or she lives.

What does that mean in practical terms? It means that we are moving toward a global government with teeth. By that I mean a global political body with taxing and enforcement powers. As things stand now, the U.N. is a paper tiger because it depends on the goodwill of governments around the world to operate, but if a global governing authority had direct access to a substantial tax revenue stream, things would change with lightning speed.

That's where the internet comes in. By keeping their hands off the internet, our elected officials left the door open for some group (i.e., the U.N. or some other global organization) to claim the authority to use its tax revenue-generation potential. That day has arrived. When our elected officials decide that it's time to give the U.N. or any other global group taxing authority, said group will go after the internet with reckless abandon, and the world as we know it will change forever.

Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1