The Vision of a Pro-Life Generation

Valin

vision-pro-life-generation-interviewNRO: Kristan Hawkins is the dynamic, under-30 mom of two at the helm of Students for Life of America (SFLA), which gathered over 2,000 high-school and college students last weekend for their annual meeting in the Washington, D.C., area, coinciding with the 29th anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in America. Hawkins talks about the students, the children, and envisioning a world without abortion in an interview with National Review Online’s Kathryn Jean Lopez.

KATHRYN JEAN LOPEZ: So how does one “Envision a World without Abortion?” That’s your theme at Students for Life this year?

KRISTAN HAWKINS: I think one of the problems our movement faces is that so many know abortion is wrong — polls prove it — yet they are uncomfortable with the idea of making abortion illegal. They fear the unknown: back-alley abortions, hundreds of thousands of women dying in the streets, or, my favorite line I hear often on campuses, “unwanted children being abandoned and starving on the streets.” For many of us, legal abortion, in all nine months of pregnancy, on demand, is all that we have ever known.

(Snip)