The Republicans' Wasted Angst

Geee

the-republicans-wasted-angstAmerican Spectator:

Republicans need to chillax. Especially within the Republican establishment, some apparently are having anxiety attacks about how the primaries are unfolding.

Here's what the panic prone seem to be overlooking -- if the election were held tomorrow, Charley Sheen would beat Barack Obama. Heck, you could even say John McCain would beat him. The point is this: the election in November will be almost exclusively about Obama. The relative importance of Obama versus fill-in-the-blank will be in the neighborhood of 95 to 5. This election will be overwhelmingly a vote against rather than a vote for. The deciding question on the majority of voters' minds will be, "Which of these two guys is not Barack Obama." There will be tens of millions of "one-issue voters" and the one issue will be Mr. Obama.

In the 2008 election Obama had virtually every imaginable factor in his favor. The mainstream media gave him a free ride, as they will again in November. There was no due diligence, no vetting. Even with every imaginable advantage, 47 percent of the electorate voted against him. It's reasonable to assume that virtually none of those who voted against him then will vote for him this time.

Now consider the 53 percent who voted for him. That 53 percent comprised a number of sub-populations -- young people, minorities, Jews, labor union members, progressives, independents, for example. Now on an almost daily basis we see polls showing how he is hemorrhaging support from one or another of these groups. In a wide variety of ways he has managed to alienate many of his supporters.Scissors-32x32.png

Geee

Two words for Dr. Ross Hilliary...Clinton. You will recall in the summer of 07 she was a slam dunk lead pipe clinch to win the nomination, every body knew that. I would also add never under estimate A. the well known ability of the GOP to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's not for nothing we are known as the stupid party. B. the power of the Obama machine to get...creative when it comes to counting votes.

Yes "The One" should be easy to defeat, but should and will are two different words.

ABO = ABO

Not saying I wouldn't vote for Ron...But I'd have think long and hard. His foreign policy makes Obama look sane...and that takes some doing.

Geee

Two words for Dr. Ross Hilliary...Clinton. You will recall in the summer of 07 she was a slam dunk lead pipe clinch to win the nomination, every body knew that. I would also add never under estimate A. the well known ability of the GOP to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's not for nothing we are known as the stupid party. B. the power of the Obama machine to get...creative when it comes to counting votes.

Yes "The One" should be easy to defeat, but should and will are two different words.

That's what I am really REALLY worried about. A zillion October surprises, vote fraud, lies, lies, and more lies, etc. etc. You know-the usual. wacko.png

Geee

That's what I am really REALLY worried about. A zillion October surprises, vote fraud, lies, lies, and more lies, etc. etc. You know-the usual. wacko.png

I get concerned when I read of people acting like Obama is going to be easy to beat. He's not, and even if you discount cheating, SEIU, New Working Party, OWS, he'll still be hard to defeat throw them in the mix, and we've got a job to do, and we've got to bring our A game 24/7. Remember there are those on the other side who are every bit as sharp, and as good an operatives as you could want. They may be wrong, but that doesn't mean they're stupid.

• Like 2

Geee

I get concerned when I read of people acting like Obama is going to be easy to beat. He's not, and even if you discount cheating, SEIU, New Working Party, OWS, he'll still be hard to defeat throw them in the mix, and we've got a job to do, and we've got to bring our A game 24/7. Remember there are those on the other side who are every bit as sharp, and as good an operatives as you could want. They may be wrong, but that doesn't mean they're stupid.

I completely agree. The whole "people will crawl over broken glass just to vote against this guy..." thing just doesn't happen. People don't turn out to vote against someone. They vote FOR someone. If the Republican party nominates another Dole/McCain than I expect turnout in 2012 will be at a record low and Obama will win. If the Republicans nominate someone Republicans are actually excited about, Obama will lose. Bob Dole and John Kerry can tell you all about the fallacy of winning office because everyone hates the other guy.

"Even with every imaginable advantage, 47 percent of the electorate voted against him. It's reasonable to assume that virtually none of those who voted against him then will vote for him this time."

True, but, that doesn't mean we just get an additional 3.5% and walk in. There's this thing called the electoral college.