Not What the Doctor Ordered

Geee

not-what-the-doctor-orderedAmerican Spectator:

In her opening remarks at the Western Republican Leadership Conference Debate, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann quipped, "And this is one night when I hope what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas." The eventual Republican nominee will probably hope differently, but to no avail.

The Las Vegas debate featured a fascinating exchange, sure to come up in the general election, where GOP presidential candidates sparred over who was in favor of the government forcing people to buy health insurance first.

"So there's a lot of big government behind Romneycare," former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said in reference to Massachusetts' state health care reform law. "Not as much as Obamacare, but a heck of a lot more than your campaign is admitting."

"Actually, Newt, we got the idea of an individual mandate from you," former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney replied in his rebuttal. "That's not true," Gingrich shot back. "You got it from the Heritage Foundation."

"Yes, we got it from you," Romney repeated, "and you got it from the Heritage Foundation and from you [sick]." "Wait a second," Gingrich again corrected. "What you just said is not true. You did not get that from me. You got it from the Heritage Foundation."

"And you never supported them?"

"I agree with them," Gingrich conceded, "but I'm just saying, what you said to this audience just now plain wasn't true."

"OK," Romney answered. "Let me ask, have you supported in the past an individual mandate?"

"I absolutely did," Gingrich said, "with the Heritage Foundation against Hillarycare."

Scissors-32x32.png