Colo. girl escapes apparent kidnapper, calls 911

Rokke

colo-girl-escapes-apparent-kidnapper-calls-911-194240305.html
AP:

DENVER (AP) — A missing 9-year-old girl escaped from an apparent kidnapper and called 911 herself from a convenience store in Colorado Springs on Friday.

The Pueblo girl was reported missing Thursday night after she didn't return home from school.

The suspect, Jose Garcia, 29, is also a suspect in an alleged molestation involving a different girl, Pueblo police Capt. Eric Bravo said.

The car of the man accused of kidnapping the girl broke down Friday morning in Colorado Springs, and a passerby gave them a ride to a Circle K, police said.

The girl ran into the convenience store and asked to use the phone to call her uncle but instead called 911, which prompted the man to take off, authorities said.

"Once she realized she had that window of opportunity, she became a hero and rescued herself by calling 911," Colorado Springs police spokeswoman Barbara Miller said in a statement.

Efren Vialpando told The Gazette he saw the girl come in the Circle K with two black eyes and a bruise on her lip and face. She had refused to leave the store with the man, saying, "I ain't going nowhere. I'm waiting for my momma." He said the suspect fled after that.

A Circle K employee declined to comment, citing store policy.

Police immediately began a search for Garcia when they arrived at the store and notified transportation hubs. An employee at a bus terminal recognized Garcia and notified police, who quickly arrested the man without incident.

The girl was taken to a hospital Friday morning. Miller said details of the girl's condition won't be released because of her age.

A family member told The Associated Press by phone that Garcia worked construction in Colorado Springs and he had known his ex-stepdaughter since she was about 3 years old.

snip

This little girl is a tough and smart kid. The gas stationed she called from is just down the road from us. Her kidnapper is going to spend the next several years in agonizing pain. Good.

smart, brave little girl, thank goodness she was able to call, hope a group of mad people find him a few minutes before the law gets him

I've heard prisoners take good care of guys like him.

That little girl must have given him a lot of trouble to be so beat up. There's something to be said for spunky kids, even though they can be difficult sometimes. To see the joy and relief of her parents on the news was soul searing.

That little girl must have given him a lot of trouble to be so beat up. There's something to be said for spunky kids, even though they can be difficult sometimes. To see the joy and relief of her parents on the news was soul searing.

As this guy was her ex stepdad, I wonder what abuses she suffered at this hands prior. Thank God she got away.

As this guy was her ex stepdad, I wonder what abuses she suffered at this hands prior. Thank God she got away.

Yeah, and it also occured to me that it might be easier to fight someone you already knew from past experience to be a bad guy. Not to diminish what she did -- not at all!

There were two 9 year olds. The one who escaped and the former stepdaughter. He will be charged with molesting both of them, if I understand the article correctly.

What a horrible thing to do to anyone, but most especially a child!