Perry letter to Congress urges them to halve their salaries

Rheo

204799-perry-letter-to-congress-urges-them-to-halve-their-salaries
The Hill:

Rick Perry has written to members of Congress asking them to support a bill that would cut their salaries in half and dramatically reduce the number of days in session.

Perry’s letter in support of Rep. Tim Johnson’s (R-Ill.) proposed Citizen Legislator Act was revealed by his campaign Wednesday, though it is dated Jan. 13.

In it, the Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate states: “I support Rep. Johnson’s bill because I believe members of Congress should spend less time in Washington and more time living at home under the laws they pass with the people they represent.”

He adds: “Under a part-time Congress, taxpayers would save billions of dollars, the permanent political class would end, and a complete overhaul of Washington’s broken status quo would begin.”
snip
In addition to halving the salaries of House members and senators, Johnson’s bill would also limit the number of Congressional days in session to five per month or 60 business days per session. For every five days that Congress exceeded the 60-day limit, member salaries would be cut by a further 10 percent.
snip
In a recent interview with an Illinois newspaper, The News-Gazette, Johnson noted that during a 24-year career in the state legislature, he had at various points been a practicing lawyer and an ice-cream store proprietor.

“Until I went to Congress, I operated in the private sector,” he told the paper. “I know what it’s like to make a living and to make dollars and spend dollars.”

The bill is not expected to pass, as even Johnson has admitted.

In it, the Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate states: “I support Rep. Johnson’s bill because I believe members of Congress should spend less time in Washington and more time living at home under the laws they pass with the people they represent.”

I like that.

He adds: “Under a part-time Congress, taxpayers would save billions of dollars, the permanent political class would end, and a complete overhaul of Washington’s broken status quo would begin.”

I like that.

note to self...Rep. Tim Johnson’s (R-Ill.) proposed Citizen Legislator Act