Hostess Brands files for bankruptcy protection

Valin

D9S6OHB01.htm
AP:

1/12/12

Hostess Brands Inc., the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, is filing for bankruptcy protection, blaming troubles with its pension and medical benefits obligations, increased competition and tough economic conditions.

The Chapter 11 filing on Wednesday comes just two years after a predecessor company emerged from bankruptcy proceedings.

(Snip)

When I was a little girl I loved Twinkies. The cake seemed light and fluffy and they had a really good flavor. Today, the cake seems dense and flavorless, and the oily, oily filling doesn't have much flavor either. Ugghh! Perhaps childhood made this 'treat' taste better.

I do agree, Geee, they are an American institution and it is always hard for me to see American companies fail. I haven't researched . . . are they still an American company?

blaming troubles with its pension and medical benefits obligations

Union involvement?

HAH, RandyMshout, No sooner did I get those exact words out of my mouth than I saw your post! (Great minds and all that, don't ya know.)

After many years of diligent research and deeply questioning the finest minds of the subject (at no small risk to life and limb I might add), (translation 5 mins. on google) I have discovered the sad truth. Contrary to popular myth Twinkies (species peniculus, genus crustum) only have a shelf life of 25 days....so eat em up fast!

Fun Facts about Twinkies Amaze your friends and neighbors.