US tribunal recommends court martial for Manning

Valin

us-tribunal-recommends-court-martial-manning-203550828.html
AFP:

1/12/12

US military tribunal is recommending a court martial for Army Private Bradley Manning for allegedly funneling thousands of classified US documents to WikiLeaks, the US Army said Thursday.

"The investigating officer (Lieutenant Colonel Paul Almanza) concluded that the charges and specifications are in the proper form and that reasonable grounds exist to believe that the accused committed the offenses alleged," according to the US Army Military District of Washington.

"He recommended that the charges be referred to a general court martial."

The charges include aiding the enemy, wrongfully causing intelligence to be published on the Internet knowing it is accessible to the enemy, and theft of public property or records.
(Snip)

Was this similar to a Grand Jury finding? I thought it had long been decided to court martial him.

I don't believe so....but I could be wrong.

Was this similar to a Grand Jury finding? I thought it had long been decided to court martial him.

More in the line of a preliminary hearing in civilian courts. Merely means that the court finds that there is sufficient evidence to warrant a trial. No opinion of guilt or innocence is implied.

More in the line of a preliminary hearing in civilian courts. Merely means that the court finds that there is sufficient evidence to warrant a trial. No opinion of guilt or innocence is implied.

Thanks. Now let's get it on Army. Funny that there seems to have been no mention of the benefits of homosexuals in the military, especially in sensitive jobs. Heard he was upset with his boyfriend.

Thanks. Now let's get it on Army. Funny that there seems to have been no mention of the benefits of homosexuals in the military, especially in sensitive jobs. Heard he was upset with his boyfriend.

Hot Air: Bradley Manning has “gender issues”

Jazz Shaw

December 18, 2011

Even as we watch the close of the Iraq war – or at least our direct, military involvement in it – one of the lingering stories which came out of the conflict continues to unfold. Accused traitor Bradley Manning has finally begun his trial, with a pre-trial hearing taking place at Fort Meade army base in Maryland on charges that he leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents. The expected five day proceeding will determine whether or not Manning will go on to a full court martial.

His defense is apparently trying a different tactic, claiming that Manning never should have been given access to the material in the first place,

(Snip)

The defence says Pte Manning was suffering from stress, as a homosexual soldier at a time when soldiers in the US military could not be open about their sexuality – under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, which has since been repealed by US President Barack Obama.

(Snip)

(Snip)

So it's the Army's fault for not being homophobic.