Egyptians worried over 'morality squads'

Valin

Article.aspx?id=252689&R=R3
Jerusalem Post:

Vigilante group takes it upon itself to enforce Islamic strictures.
JOSEPH MAYTON
1/8/12

Suzie flops down on the chair and lets out a long breath. Quickly moving to her head, she unfastens her headscarf, the purple and silver head covering she wears during the day, and calmly lets her long black hair fall to her shoulders and down her back.

“I’ve had it with this double life,” she told The Media Line at her Cairo flat. “The problem is I wouldn’t have got my job if I wasn’t veiled so I put it on during the day and take it off at night before going out with friends,” she adds in perfect English, a hint of a British accent coming through.

For 25-year-old Suzie, who is Muslim thanks to her father, Egypt has become a dichotomy of faith and honor. Now, she fears the rise of online groups espousing to uphold the country’s “morality.” These “morality police” groups are gaining steam, and for many Egyptians, especially women, the idea has them fearful that the country could quickly turn into an ultra-conservative Islamic state akin to Saudi Arabia.

“We all know that these vice prevention committees are really a way to subject women to disgusting ways of life and push us farther into the house and away from the public,” Suzie argues.
(Snip)

Telegraph: Egypt liberal secular leader to be put on trial for Minnie Mouse in a burka cartoons

Naguib Sawiris, Egypt's richest man and figurehead of the liberal movement for the country's political leadership, is to be put on trial for insulting religion over cartoons he put on Twitter showing Mickey and Minnie Mouse in traditional Muslim clothing.

Richard Spencer

09 Jan 2012

The case against Mr Sawiris, owner of the Orascom business empire and the country's most prominent Christian, was filed originally by a group of lawyers affiliated to the radical Salafi Islamist movement. Few expected it to be taken up by the prosecuting authorities.

But the Salafis have become a powerful force in the new Egypt after sweeping to second place behind the Muslim Brotherhood-backed Freedom and Justice Party in elections. They are pushing for tighter implementation if not a rewriting of Egypt's constitution, which is supposed to be based on the principles of Sharia law.

Mr Sawiris, who is outspoken in defence of secular values and often accused of being provocative, "retweeted" a cartoon in June showing Minnie wearing a black face-veil and Mickey in the traditional robe and beard of a Salafi follower.

(Snip)

Mickey-and-Minnie-Islam-Cartoon.jpg

(Note: Mr Sawiris is a Copt)

I would also add some people really need to get a sense of humor.