Are We Alone in the Universe?

Geee

are-we-alone-universe-charles-krauthammer
National Review:

Huge excitement. Two Earth-size planets found orbiting a sun-like star less than 1,000 light-years away. This comes two weeks after the stunning announcement of another planet orbiting another star at precisely the right distance — within the so-called “habitable zone” that is not too hot and not too cold — to allow for liquid water and therefore possible life.

Unfortunately, the planets of the right size are too close to their sun, and thus too scorching hot, to permit Earth-like life. And the Goldilocks planet in the habitable zone is too large. At 2.4 times the size of Earth, it is likely gaseous, like Jupiter. No earthlings there. But it’s only a matter of time — perhaps a year or two, estimates one astronomer — before we find the right one of the right size in the right place.

And at just the right time. As the romance of manned space exploration has waned, the drive today is to find our living, thinking counterparts in the universe. For all the excitement, however, the search betrays a profound melancholy — a lonely species in a merciless universe anxiously awaits an answering voice amid utter silence.

That silence is maddening. Not just because it compounds our feeling of cosmic isolation. But because it makes no sense. As we inevitably find more and more exo-planets where intelligent life can exist, why have we found no evidence — no signals, no radio waves — that intelligent life does exist?
It’s called the Fermi Paradox, after the great physicist who once asked, “Where is everybody?” Or as was once elaborated: “All our logic, all our anti-isocentrism, assures us that we are not unique — that they must be there. And yet we do not see them.”snip

Sad. Some people, no matter how supposedly 'intelligent' they are, cannot accept the origin of man detailed in the book of Genesis.

Nowhere in Genesis, nor anywhere else in the Bible, is it suggested that we were God's only choice for companions. I would also make the argument that Creationism and Evolution Theory are not necessarily in opposition with each other.

righteousmomma

Sadly - to me because I love God and really respect Krauthammer on certain issues- but he has always been an opponent of Intelligent Design which says to me he is not a believer in the One True Creator God as revealed in the Bible.

Btw Earth and its inhabitants may not be the only companions God has chosen but regardless we are His Highest Creation since we (with our individual spirit and soul) are made in His Image.

Sadly - to me because I love God and really respect Krauthammer on certain issues- but he has always been an opponent of Intelligent Design which says to me he is not a believer in the One True Creator God as revealed in the Bible.

Btw Earth and its inhabitants may not be the only companions God has chosen but regardless we are His Highest Creation since we (with our individual spirit and soul) are made in His Image.

We are indeed made in His image; His spiritual image. We cannot possibly be made in His physical image, because the Bible tells us that to look upon the face of God is instant death. Were He our physical double this could not be true. Is it not possible that races with what, to us, seem to be alien in appearance could also be spiritually our brethren?

It is totally illogical to believe that in this vast universe, Earth is the ONLY planet with life forms.

I believe it and I don't feel illogical at all.

It is totally illogical to believe that in this vast universe, Earth is the ONLY planet with life forms.

Not only is it illogical and statistically improbable that in a universe with literally trillions of possible locations for intelligent life, but it is also extremely arrogant to place limitations on an omniscient, omnipresent and all powerful being.

Not only is it illogical and statistically improbable that in a universe with literally trillions of possible locations for intelligent life, but it is also extremely arrogant to place limitations on an omniscient, omnipresent and all powerful being.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Big Bill Shakespeare

And

"I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

JBS Haldane

And

Q. (Scott Jorgason): How big is the universe?

A. (some skinny..I mean slender old white guy): "It's big really big, bigger than Montana."