Va. GOP will require loyalty oath in presidential primary

Valin

tdmain01-va-gop-will-require-loyalty-oath-in-presi-ar-1573870
Richmond Times-Dispatch :

Andrew Cain
12/29/11

The state Republican Party will require voters to sign a loyalty oath in order to participate in the March 6 presidential primary.

Anyone who wants to vote must sign a form at the polling place pledging to support the eventual Republican nominee for president. Anyone who refuses to sign will be barred from voting in the primary.

(Snip)

Signs for polling places and the pledge form will advise voters that "Section 24.2-545 of the Code of Virginia allows the political party holding a primary to determine requirements for voting in the primary, including 'the signing of a pledge by the voter of his intention to support the party's candidate when offering to vote in the primary.'"

(Snip)

The GOP keeps inventing ways to lose.

I can only assume this is directed a the Ron Paul people. The question is, how do you enforce it?

The Weekly Standard: Boycott the Virginia Republican Primary?

WILLIAM KRISTOL

12/30/11

The Virginia Republican Party is apparently planning to require voters in the March 6 Virginia GOP presidential primary to sign a form that says, “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican Party for president.”

This is stupid, counterproductive, and offensive for several reasons so obvious that I won’t even bother to mention them. Bob Marshall, a conservative GOP leader in the house of delegates, has come out against the pledge. Shouldn’t our Republican governor, Bob McDonnell, stop this idiocy? Shouldn’t Mitt Romney and Ron Paul—the two candidates who are on the Virginia ballot, neither of whom could possibly approve of such a blind loyalty pledge—ask the party to withdraw it?

(Snip)

This pledge should (IMO) be filed under..."What were they thinking!"