Cue the Voter ID Scaremongering

Valin

SB10001424052970204464404577112631828248266.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTSecond
WSJ:

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said that photo ID requirements hurt minorities.
JASON L. RILEY
12/21/11

You know it's election season when the political left starts attacking voter identification laws as racist measures that have nothing to do with ballot integrity. Last week the Obama administration and civil rights leaders once again were sounding this theme.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told an audience in Austin, Texas, that photo ID requirements hurt minorities. "Are we willing to allow this era -- our era -- to be remembered as the age when our nation's proud tradition of expanding the franchise ended?" said Mr. Holder. "Call on our political parties to resist the temptation to suppress certain votes," he added. "Urge policy makers at every level to re-evaluate our election systems and to reform them in ways that encourage, not limit, participation."

(Snip)

It's not easy to find Democrats willing to acknowledge that these laws help guard against voter fraud. But last month Artur Davis, a former member of the Congressional Black Caucus from Alabama who left office last year, defended voter ID requirements and said the only people harmed are those attempting to skirt the law.

"Voter fraud is something that does happen. It's a lot more likely to happen in rural communities. It's a lot more likely to happen in communities were one political machine is trying to hold on to power," said Mr. Davis. "And in virtually every campaign that I ran in my district, there were a few counties where I had to worry about the ballots being cooked, where you knew that you were going to lose a certain number of absentee ballots. And you had to offset it on Election Day. And you knew that's the way politics was practiced."

Mr. Davis said the argument that showing identification to vote is too cumbersome is specious. "If you try to cash a check in his country, you better have an ID. If you want to get on a plane, you better have an ID. If you want to get in a building in New York or Washington, D.C., chances are you better have an ID -- whether it's a government building or a private building in many cases. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if we have this standard for all the other things that we do, that we should have them for voting too."

(Snip)

Artur Davis voter fraud

"Are we willing to allow this era -- our era -- to be remembered as the age when our nation's proud tradition of expanding the franchise ended?"

If that's what picture ID for voting means... YES INDEED!

This is all so stupid. EVERYONE who is eligible to vote has an ID. You can't get by in the day to day world without one.

That's the thing. I wonder if those who oppose this understand how it makes them look?