No Fault of Their Own

Geee

no-fault-of-their-own
American Spectator:

In Tuesday's House of Representatives debate, Rep. Chris van Hollen (D-MD) said that Congress had a responsibility to extend unemployment benefits to those who are "unemployed through no fault of their own." Minority leader Nancy Pelosi used the same rhetoric in a floor speech a week ago, saying that the Senate's two-month payroll tax and unemployment benefits band-aid "would secure a critical lifeline for those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own." The Democratic Party's website crows, "Democrats have provided relief for hardworking Americans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own."

In a recent Michigan state legislature debate about insurance reform, a Democrat state rep discussed "those, who through no fault of their own, will lose insurance coverage…" Democrats in Washoe County, Nevada, ruing the failure of the U.S. Senate to pass the DREAM Act, said of illegal aliens who were brought here as children, "These are young men and women who, through no fault of their own, came to this country and consider this country their own."

It's an interesting rhetorical device, one that allows Democrats everywhere to sing from the same sheet of guilt-inducing music. But, at the risk of sounding like Rick Perry's "have no heart" believers in liberty, limited government, and the power of incentives, why should the question of fault be an important factor in how the federal government treats adult Americans?

Charity is only charity if given willingly. Money taken by threat of force, whether by a mugger or by government, is theft. As for the latter, Frédéric Bastiat properly termed it "legalized plunder."snip

"Through no fault of their own..."

Thanks a lot Geee! for posting this. You've already sent my blood pressure through the roof and the sun is not yet risen!

This is one of three phrases that sends me into fits... It's invaded the rhetoric of the Left and the airwaves of the late night info-mercials.

"Do you have debt of more than $5000 THROUGH NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN... call 1-800-DED-BEAT"

"YOU DESERVE this vacation to the tropics!... Call blah, blah, blah"

"Have you been done wrong by your employer? YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to sue them. Just call and we have shyster lawyers standing by to help you find out."

We are a society of deserving victims who have the right to all of our desires for instant gratification. (brought to us by the sweat of our neighbor's brow).

NCT-those commercials drive me up a wall. "It's MY money and I want it now!!!!!" :angry:

Thank again Geee!

Nothing like a second blood surge to the cranial lobe.

I've noted and added to my list. Yup, that one gets me too.

No wonder the commercials for instant wealth while sitting on your A$$ and doing nothing are still playing... year after year.

And we both know that if there were no money to gain from these companies running them, they would not still be running. That's what corks me- how damn many people are living off of settlements of one kind or another???? All of these ads for attorneys running ad nauseum must be paying off.

no-fault-of-their-own
American Spectator:

In Tuesday's House of Representatives debate, Rep. Chris van Hollen (D-MD) said that Congress had a responsibility to extend unemployment benefits to those who are "unemployed through no fault of their own." Minority leader Nancy Pelosi used the same rhetoric in a floor speech a week ago, saying that the Senate's two-month payroll tax and unemployment benefits band-aid "would secure a critical lifeline for those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own." The Democratic Party's website crows, "Democrats have provided relief for hardworking Americans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own."

A. On Dec 6 I was laid off....through no fault of my own

B. Saw it coming quite awhile ago, took steps, you know like adults are supposed to....ie live under my means.

/radical concept

C. and I can't stress this strongly enough 99 weeks of unemployment is waaaay to long.

D. Congress please note...I Am Not A Victim.

Here Endth rant # 827,611.

no-fault-of-their-own
American Spectator:

B. Saw it coming quite awhile ago, took steps, you know like adults are supposed to....ie live under my means.

/radical concept

C. and I can't stress this strongly enough 99 weeks of unemployment is waaaay to long.

shoutValin!

FWIW: As a self-employed person, even when I was working, I was unemployed, in between jobs. Since 2008, my periods of unemployment have become longer & longer. When I started my first company [a painting company] in the 70's, I freaked out between jobs. Now, I use my time to repair things, do volunteer work, read, and study things that interest me, amd most importantly, enjoy my wife & my family [cooking, cleaning, photography.] I also keep myself open for any chance to make money legally. I try to establish a rapport with others, and I let them know of my skills, but not in a pushy way, even if I can't make any money by helping someone or imparting knowledge that will help. I also pray...a lot, but not always formulaic prayer. It does no good to fault yourself [i don't imagine that you will, anyway] & in Colorado, we have a State sponsored employment listing [where I have my resume-I get job offers-not always good ones, but there have been some I've considered.] I will certainly pray for you to become employed again, and you have my best wishes. If I can help in any other way....send me a PM. Good luck & God bless you.

no-fault-of-their-own
American Spectator:

/radical concept

Valin-Hopes that the new year will bring better things for you and all of us(with a new president) :)