The Past and the Present

Valin

full
Townhall:

Thomas Sowell
12/20/11

If Newt Gingrich were being nominated for sainthood, many of us would vote very differently from the way we would vote if he were being nominated for a political office.

What the media call Gingrich's "baggage" concerns largely his personal life and the fact that he made a lot of money running a consulting firm after he left Congress. This kind of stuff makes lots of talking points that we will no doubt hear, again and again, over the next weeks and months.

(Snip)

Even back in the 19th century, when the scandal came out that Grover Cleveland had fathered a child out of wedlock -- and he publicly admitted it -- the voters nevertheless sent him to the White House, where he became one of the better presidents.

Do we wish we had another Ronald Reagan? We could certainly use one. But we have to play the hand we were dealt. And the Reagan card is not in the deck.

(Snip)

Those who want to concentrate on the baggage in Newt Gingrich's past, rather than on the nation's future, should remember what Winston Churchill said: "If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." If that means a second term for Barack Obama, then it means lost big time.

righteousmomma

Well, I love Thomas Sowell. Have followed him for years. He is more libertarian than I but I like him! Heard Rush too. Btw w/o saying it I do believe Rush is anti Romney - to the max- and pro Gingrich, Bachman, Perry and Palin(???), and anyone??.

Think he is as "sick" as we are.

Well, I love Thomas Sowell. Have followed him for years. He is more libertarian than I but I like him! Heard Rush too. Btw w/o saying it I do believe Rush is anti Romney - to the max- and pro Gingrich, Bachman, Perry and Palin(???), and anyone??.

The opposite can be said for Hugh Hewitt. With Rush it's not so much anti Romney as anti-GOP Establishment.

Addendum: Thomas is more of a doom and gloomer than I.

What I liked best about his show today was his encouragement not to become disheartened. It is what the MSM will try to do to us, and even more so as 2012 proceeds.