Am I No Longer Fit to Be a Conservative?

Geee

am_i_no_longer_fit_to_be_a_conservative.html
American Thinker:

I have often thought of myself as a staunch conservative. However, over the past five weeks I have come to realize, thanks to a solid majority of the conservative chattering class and their vitriol against Newt Gingrich, that I am, per Glenn Beck, a "closet Progressive"; per Ann Coulter, "not a real conservative"; per George Will, "a Marxist"; and per National Review, and numerous other so-called conservative publications, "unfit to represent the conservative movement."

With so many people obviously smarter than I sitting in judgment, I must confess that, based on their criteria, they are right. But who is the epitome of the movement?

In the 1980s, I was an owner of a consulting company that numbered among its clients an evil pharmaceutical company, SmithKline. But that wasn't the worst of it. We also had a contract with the Resolution Trust Corporation. The RTC was a government entity set up to consolidate and liquidate the assets of nearly a thousand failed Savings and Loans. We had as one of our principals a recently retired assistant IRS commissioner who not only had a wealth of knowledge, but knew the contracting officers at the RTC. Yes, I admit that we used his expertise and connections to obtain the contract.

It has now been made clear to me by those sitting atop the Mount Olympus of conservatism that regardless of a person's area of expertise or whether one is in the private sector or if someone has connections based on prior work, it is an egregious sin to actually make money, regardless of how well the job is done, working for an entity such as the RTC or Freddie Mac. Further, I am certain that these same arbiters of conservatism have never used their status or connections to obtain lucrative advertising endorsements, book deals, or appearances on Fox News or other media outlets.

One day during this same period of time, I happened to be having lunch with an old friend at the Palm in Washington, D.C. In walked Ted Kennedy with one of his senior aides. My friend, who had known Ted Kennedy for many years going back to their days at the University of Virginia Law School, took me over to meet him. Ever ebullient, Ted Kennedy asked us to join him, and we did. Yes -- I confess to the world that I sat at the same table and broke bread with the contemptible (to many conservatives) Ted Kennedy. Worse still, I found him to be quite affable and likable, even when we discussed the political landscape. snip

righteousmomma

He makes some excellent points.

Sadly I am too sad to say more about the sad field of candidates we have in this sad time in our sad Country in a sad world. Too sad. Too bad.

am_i_no_longer_fit_to_be_a_conservative.html
American Thinker:

I have often thought of myself as a staunch conservative. However, over the past five weeks I have come to realize, thanks to a solid majority of the conservative chattering class and their vitriol against Newt Gingrich, that I am, per Glenn Beck, a "closet Progressive"; per Ann Coulter, "not a real conservative"; per George Will, "a Marxist"; and per National Review, and numerous other so-called conservative publications, "unfit to represent the conservative movement."snip

I have a small question (pat. pend.) IF Newt Gingrich becomes the Republican Parties nominee, how will these people walk these statements back?

I can't/won't speak for others but when I hear the words "Real Conservative" alarm bells go off in my head and I start thinking Nutter.

As for NR

"In those days, there was only one print outlet – no broadcast ones – that supported what the vast majority of Republican voters supported: William Buckley’s National Review. (Since Buckley turned it over and the original cast of NR died or was pushed out, NR’s management went with the money and became part of the Establishment. Whereas Buckley ran against silk-stocking John Lindsay, his successors at NR are the very image of Lindsay). Of necessity however, the Goldwater campaign spawned alternative means of mass communication – prominently direct mail. In the 1970s a few breaks took place in the Establishment’s control of the Media. Bob Bartley made the Wall street Journal into something of an advocate of Goldwater’s positions on Social Security, etc. (Since Bartley’s death, the Journal has taken several steps back to the Establishment). Norman Podhoretz and William Kristol made Taft-Goldwater positions on foreign affairs palatable to many Democrats. New small magazines popped up all over, bypassing the united Establishment."

Link

I now know that giving any recognition to Franklin Roosevelt is tantamount to an admission of being a closet "progressive," as Glenn Beck, the Lord High Executioner of the Court of Ideological Purity, would brand me.

Two points

A. An interesting fact I came across the other day. In the English language there are two words Best and Greatest. Now the really interesting thing is they can mean different things.

B. Speaking as someone who really reads/studies history I will say and defend the idea that FDR was the greatest president in the 20th century, not the best, not my favorite, not someone who's policies I approve of...but the greatest. He died 56 years ago and we are still dealing with the legacy of FDR, that means he is the greatest.

I now know that giving any recognition to Franklin Roosevelt is tantamount to an admission of being a closet "progressive," as Glenn Beck, the Lord High Executioner of the Court of Ideological Purity, would brand me.

Two points

A. An interesting fact I came across the other day. In the English language there are two words Best and Greatest. Now the really interesting thing is they can mean different things.

B. Speaking as someone who really reads/studies history I will say and defend the idea that FDR was the greatest president in the 20th century, not the best, not my favorite, not someone who's policies I approve of...but the greatest. He died 56 years ago and we are still dealing with the legacy of FDR, that means he is the greatest.

By that logic I guess LBJ would be next in line and, unless Obamacare is repealed, The "o" would supplant them both.

Two points

By that logic I guess LBJ would be next in line and, unless Obamacare is repealed, The "o" would supplant them both.

As I said there is a difference between Great & Best. He was not a very good person, and I (it should go without saying) strongly disapprove of what he did, but yes he was a great president.