US Election 2012: Donald Trump says he 'represents millions' in Republican kingmaker role

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
US-Election-2012-Donald-Trump-says-he-represents-millions-in-Republican-kingmaker-role.html
UK Telegraph:

For Republican presidential hopefuls, the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina are dominating travel schedules.

But a flashy office building in midtown Manhattan is also a key campaign stop in their packed timetables.

Newt Gingrich, the current Republican frontrunner, is the latest contender to visit Trump Tower to pay homage to "the Donald", the flamboyant real estate mogul and host of America's version of The Apprentice reality television show.

Mr Trump's powerbroker role in the party's presidential campaign is vexing many Republican grandees - not least as he continues to hold out the possibility that he might launch an independent bid for White House next year.

And in an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, he was typically immodest about why his endorsement is such a highly-coveted prize for those who would be president.

"I'm very handsome, it's my looks," deadpanned Mr Trump, 65, who is as famous for his extravagantly combed hair as his outspoken views and "You're fired" television catchphrase.

Then he continued with his usual swagger: "It's because I represent the millions of Americans who wanted me to run and who are tired of this country getting ripped off by China and OPEC [the Organisation for Petroleum Exporting Countries] and the rest of the world. We're a laughing stock - run by stupid people.

"They see me as someone who wouldn't allow this to happen. The candidates want my endorsement because those millions of Americans listen to me and respect me."
________

Millions? Ooookay... :rolleyes: