The Chicago Tribune Stand by Their Man: Barack Obama

Geee

the_chicago_tribune_stands_by_their_man_barack_obama.html
American Thinker:

According to Bruce Dold, editorial page editor of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper stands by its October 17, 2008 endorsement of Senator Barack Obama for the presidency.

In response to an e-mail asking, "Mr. Dold, if you had it to do again, would you endorse Barack Obama for President?," Dold answered on November 28, "I stand by that endorsement."

In their '08 written endorsement of Obama, the Trib's editors included these implied expectations from an Obama presidency:

"We wrote [when the Trib endorsed his Senate candidacy] that he would celebrate our common values instead of exaggerate our differences."

"We said he would raise the tone of the campaign."

"We said his intellectual depth would sharpen the policy debate. In the ensuing 22 months he has done just that."

"We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions. He is ready."

"Obama envisions a change in the way we deal with one another in politics and government."

"[McCain, though,] has responded to the economic crisis with an angry, populist message and a misguided, $300 billion proposal to buy up bad mortgages."

"Obama chose a more experienced and more thoughtful running mate [than Palin]--he put governing before politicking. Sen. Joe Biden doesn't bring many votes to Obama, but he would help him from day one to lead the country."

"We think...Obama would govern as much more of a pragmatic centrist than many people expect."

"We know first-hand that Obama seeks out and listens carefully and respectfully to people who disagree with him. He builds consensus."

"He has been called a "University of Chicago Democrat"--a reference to the famed free-market Chicago school of economics, which puts faith in markets."

"He has the intelligence to understand the grave economic and national security risks that face us, to listen to good advice and make careful decisions."

"When Obama said at the 2004 Democratic Convention that we weren't a nation of red states and blue states, he spoke of union the way Abraham Lincoln did."

Dold, representing the Tribune's editors, is satisfied, it would seem, that the Trib's expectations for an Obama presidency have been met. Or are they really satisfied?snip

righteousmomma

If I were not an outdated lady troglodyte my first response to this article's snip would be "OH Sh$T!"

I mean how delusional can human beings be!

Yet, I know personally folks who were (and still are) under the spell - liberal "intellects" all. You know the type ="If we think he is brilliant, experienced, reasoned and ready then he is and the rest of you are stupid and narrow minded. We are the smart ones."

I know others who have snapped out of the trance somewhat but are so surrounded by the other types they remain mum and defensive.

Btw on a different note than the one newspaper- very telling about our print media:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_endorsements_in_United_States_presidential_elections