Reports: Rep. Barney Frank to retire

clearvision

USA Today:

Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank, the former chairman of the influential House Financial Services Committee, will not seek re-election next year, several news outlets are reporting this morning.

Frank's office has not yet confirmed the reports. The Associated Press reports he will hold a 1 p.m. news conference in Newton, Mass.

The Democrat chaired the financial services committee from 2007 until his party lost its House majority in the 2010 election.

Frank, first elected to Congress in 1980, is known as a principal architect of the country's biggest overhaul of the banking and financial-industry regulations since the Depression. The 2010 law was aimed at preventing another meltdown of the financial services industry. It also created a new agency to protect consumers from unfair lending practices. :snip:
-------
If I recall there was a Republican who ran a pretty good race against him this last election.

Clearvision - redistricting may play a role. He still has a liberal district but there may be internal fighting that would be brutal. John Tierney's district was redrawn to be one of the most Republican in the state. Tierney's wife paid a $2K fine and served some days in jail for laundering money for her brother. In the millions.

Diane Wilkerson takes a bribe on camera and goes to jail for serious time. Tierney's wife initially only received the fine, but later had jail added.

Rush adds that with the redistricting he would have to get out there and spend money and campaign again, something he apparently hasn't needed to do much of in more recent elections.

Barney just wants to stop the merry-go-round, relax....go through it...when you want to do it.... become domestic, and eat children.

I stand corrected: Instapundit

I've got some good news and some bad news. 1st the bad news.....

The Atlantic: The Real Reason to Miss Barney Frank

(Snip)

Nonetheless, I confess, I like Barney Frank. I also think that, whatever his mistakes, he's pretty knowledgeable about finance. And you need only look at the committee list to see that it could have been so, so much worse.

Guess which Democrat now becomes the ranking member on the financial services committee? That's right, none other than our favorite batty aunt, Maxine Waters. The woman who, during a major hearing with the cameras on her, asked the heads of Goldman Sachs and State Street bizarre questions about how they set the limits on their consumer credit cards*. She asked Ken Lewis, the head of Bank of America, a question about "offshore loss mitigation caps" (a term of which I--and also, clearly, Ken Lewis--had never heard) that was so bizarre--and garbled--that he was flummoxed into silence; he sat there squirming like a third grader being picked on by the teacher.

When he finally got the courage to ask what she meant, it became clear that Maxine Waters had no idea what she meant; I assume she'd either taken hasty and incomplete notes when her staffers briefed her about what to ask, or had flubbed reading the question, and couldn't bring herself to admit on C-SPAN that she hadn't really bothered preparing for the hearing to the extent, of, say, familiarizing herself with the institutions whose heads she was grilling, or actually bothering to understand the questions she was going to ask. It was kind of hilarious, until you realized that this was her job, and that she voted on critical financial regulatory questions.

(snip)

I lied there is no good news.

Maxine Waters.... ROFL. May they never get back the House.

Maxine Waters in charge of the financial services committee? What could possibly go wrong!

Maxine Waters.... ROFL. May they never get back the House.

Maxine Waters in charge of the financial services committee? What could possibly go wrong!

OK so it was a ROFL, then I peed myself, then threw up....