S.C. sheriff urges women to pack firepower

clearvision

s.c-sheriff-urges-women-to-pack-firepower
CBS News:

A South Carolina sheriff is urging women to get concealed weapons permits and carry guns to protect themselves.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright made the suggestion Monday while discussing the arrest of a suspect in an attempted rape last weekend.

Walter Monroe Lance, 46, of Spartanburg, was charged Monday with kidnapping, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and grand larceny in a Sunday attack on a woman walking her dog in a park.

"This lady's life was threatened so many times during this act - it's almost too bad that somebody with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by and hear the cries. That would have fixed this," Wright said.

"If we don't do something in our society to change the way our justice system is not working, that's about what you're going to have start having. ... People are sick and tired of doing the right thing, doing the right thing, doing the right thing, and then people popping right back out of jail on account of a technicality.

"I've had liberals call me and tell me, 'The chain gang is not going to work.' Well, let me inform you that your form of justice isn't working, either."

He suggested that women carry a .45-caliber weapon, and showed reporters at a news conference a fanny pack women could use to carry a handgun while jogging. "You ain't got to be accurate, you just got to get close," he said. :snip:

I agree that ALL women should carry firearms. Stats show that in states that allow concealed carry, the biggest drop in crimes are violent crimes against women.

But, a .45??? Most women can't handle that much fire power.

I agree that ALL women should carry firearms. Stats show that in states that allow concealed carry, the biggest drop in crimes are violent crimes against women.

But, a .45??? Most women can't handle that much fire power.

It sounds like the sheriff was having a little scenario playing out in his head, where 280 pound rapist is met by 120 pound woman, using .45 230grain JHP's.

Concealed .45's are indeed a handful, even with the new self-defense 165gr/180gr hollow-points.

I'm thinking a .38+P in a snubbie revolver, using, 80grain Glaser Silver Safety Slugs @ 1,400fps muzzle velocity/348ft.lbs. muzzle energy.

Practicing with standard .38 125grain rounds & then carrying the Glaser's would be easy, cheap & give the rapists & muggers a real bad day. Women deserve the right to dispense justice at the point of the crime.