Brown Risks Wrath of Unions With California Pension Overhaul Plan

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?test=latestnews
Fox News:

Gov. Jerry Brown’s newly unveiled plan for a sweeping overhaul of the state’s pension system seeks rollbacks that are deeper than what the Democratic governor proposed in the spring, and risks putting him at odds with the very unions that helped power his return to the statehouse last year.

Brown outlined his long-term vision for turning around California on Thursday with his plan to move new state workers to a hybrid retirement system where guaranteed benefits are combined with a 401(k)-style plan. Civil state employees hired after the plan takes effect would be eligible for full retirement benefits at 67, instead of 60. He also wants current employees to contribute at least half of the cost of their pension benefits.

For example, new hires who are 37 years old wouldn't feel the effects of Brown’s plan for 30 years. According to Brown's office, the state would save $4 billion over that time period.

“Applying this is going to take some care,” Brown said at the state Capitol in a speech detailing his 12-point plan. “But I’ve laid out what I think is a minimum that every plan in California ought to meet – at a minimum protects taxpayers while being fair to the employees.

Brown's proposal, however, didn't go over well with unions representing teachers.

“Labor has been talking about its own pension reform issues. We know there are some problems,” Joshua Pechthalt, president of the California Federation of Teachers, told FoxNews.com. “But it worries me that (Brown’s plan) feeds into what I see as an effort to scapegoat public sector employees for the economic problems we did not create.”

Allan Clark, president of the California School Employees Association, said in a statement, “CSEA has been pushing for responsible reforms to prevent abuse and fraud in our pension system. However, some of the governor’s proposals go too far and run the risk of undermining retirement security for thousands of California school employees and their families.”
________

So, will there be a recall movement against Brown over this?

Maybe, but I guess even a nutcase like Brown can see the light. It might be a 20-watt bulb in the Grand Canyon for challenged people like him, but it's a light.

If Brown thought Californians could afford it, he wouldn't overhaul a thing. He's only doing this because NONE of the liberal methods have worked.