An Air Force wife’s rant about the “military industrial complex”

Valin

an-air-force-wifes-rant-about-the-military-industrial-complex
Right Scoop:

pookysgirl
Oct 29, 2011

I’m a very occasional blogger. My “occasions” are when someone gets me so riled up that I have to fire off a rant about it. This post was triggered by the growing frustration with Congress (specifically the Senate) at their inability to pass a budget, along with what I’ve learned from my husband (Air Force SrA) about the funding for the military and some comments on a
about al-Awlaki’s son being killed in Yemen. The last factor was truly the catalyst, and I had to get some things off my chest.

(Snip)

But enough about the need for term limits. Here’s what we have now: No actual budget, debt growing exponentially, no real discussion about entitlement reform, and all this as the Baby Boomer Bomb is about to go off and blow us sky-high into fiscal insanity. And what’s Washington’s solution to all of this?

Why, cut the military’s budget, of course! We don’t need the latest gadgets for our military or overpriced equipment! Besides, isn’t it time we stopped being the world’s police force?

And here is where I part ways with the weenie liberals and the Paulbots. Yes, they have the same goal, even though they have different reasons for achieving that goal. But you know what? Both groups are delusional. Liberals believe that if we stop using our military to kill people that try to harm us and break their stuff to smithereens, then the world will love us and everyone will ride a unicorn that solely subsists on Skittles. (Who will make the Skittles, I have no idea.) Paulbots are just as insane with their belief that we don’t need to protect ourselves abroad at all, and that should we face an enemy marching into our territory, they’ll go home as soon as we start air-dropping Reason magazines on their heads. After all, the world will listen to a good, civil discourse, will it not?

It’s ridiculous what passes for “serious thought” these days. Facts are facts, and human nature is predictable. There’s a reason Sun Tzu’s Art of War is still applicable in today’s world. To defend himself against enemies who would take his life, the ancient warrior got a sword and a stone to keep it sharp. To defend himself and his country against those who would take not only his life but countless innocents, the American warrior gets a gun that can take down enemies quickly and efficiently. And when his country takes away that efficient equipment for all the wrong reasons, the American warrior fights on but knows he can’t do the job as well as he could.

(Snip)