How Conservatives Must Address the Issue of Income Inequality

Valin

?singlepage=true
PJ Media:

Ron Radosh
10/28/11

Two nights ago when I turned on CNN at my hotel in Prague, I caught a good deal of Piers Morgan’s interview with Michael Moore, played in a town hall format with a studio audience.

Watching Moore at work can be a frightening experience, as the radical demagogue provides simplistic answers to the growing issue of job loss for the middle class, tanking assets, and growing economic inequality. If you are Moore, it’s all caused by the greed of bankers and capitalists — unlike the days he calls the “golden era” of capitalism, when industry gave people good jobs, and corporate CEOs invested in their businesses and gave back some of the profit they made to people instead of keeping it all for themselves.

(Snip)

The problem today is a lack of confidence that opportunities still exist, and will be there in the future. The next election will be fought over these competing visions. Ryan points out that Obama “is barnstorming swing states, pushing a divisive message that pits one group of Americans against another on the basis of class.” As a result of this dishonest argument, Obama’s popularity is slowly rising. Meanwhile, the Republican nominees are fighting each other and leaving a void that Obama can fill. Republicans, following Ryan’s example, have to start addressing the serious problems Americans are facing. They must emphasize, as Ryan does, what has made us exceptional in the past, and then present a clear picture of how to get back on the path to prosperity.

(Snip)

What we are seeing lately with the Tea Party and OWS is We The People debating (as I've said before) What Kind Of Country Do We Want America To Be. Two different visions of where we want to go (Make no mistake we do get the kind of country we want). Do we want a nation with a large federal government or a limited federal government? This is a debate that has been going on seriously since the 70's and I believe we over the next couple of election cycles we will conclude this debate. Choose....but choose wisely.
(Remember "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have,"
Gerald R. Ford)