Catholic University investigated for not providing Muslims a ‘Christian-free’ room in which to pray

Valin

catholic-university-investigated-for-not-providing-muslims-a-christian-free-room-in-which-to-pray
The Right Scoop TV:

10/28/11

Fox News Radio – The Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights confirmed that it is investigating allegations that Catholic University violated the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers.

The investigation alleges that Muslim students “must perform their prayers surrounded by symbols of Catholicism – e.g., a wooden crucifix, paintings of Jesus, pictures of priests and theologians which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”

(Snip)

[John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law School] said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels “and at the cathedral that looms over the entire campus – the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.”

(Snip)

Imagine Choosing to Attend a Religious Institution of Higher Learning

…and then getting all pissed off about the religious stuff all over campus. Especially some of the stuff you might not have noticed when you toured the campus prior to accepting a spot as a student. You know. The stuff that just sort of LOOMS ON THE HORIZON SO LARGE, it completely blends into the background, like a, oh…say…cathedral.

(Snip)

“It may not be illegal, but it suggests they are acting improperly and probably with malice,” he said. “They do have to pray five times a day, they have to look around for empty classrooms and to be sitting there trying to do Muslim prayers with a big cross looking down or a picture of Jesus or a picture of the Pope is not very conductive to their religion.”

Muslim students who just happen to CHOOSE to attend a…wait for it…CATHOLIC University.

(I’m confused. Are vous?)

:wallbash:

So the Muslim Universities allows Christian symbols for those Christians allowed to attend... oh wait.

The Anchoress: CUA a Pontifical University: No Jesus-Free Places UPDATE

Oct 28th, 2011 by Elizabeth Scalia

(Snip)

I think someone is acting with malice, here, but I don’t think it’s CUA, or for that matter, the Muslim students, who don’t seem to be anywhere near as offended as Banzhaf suggests:

Wiaam Al Salmi, a Muslim student at CUA who recently started the Arab American Association, which had is first meeting this week, said, “The community here is very respectful of other religions and I feel free to openly practice it.” [...]“Even though it’s a Catholic school, a lot of its teachings are very similar to Islam,” said Al Salmi. “It teaches respect, community service, love, worship etc. which are things that Islam also teaches.”

I wonder who is paying for John Banzhaf's time?