Obama in Colorado pushing student loan relief

clearvision

obama-student-loans
CNN:

President Barack Obama takes his economic relief plan to another state Wednesday, highlighting new measures designed to help college graduates manage student loan debt.

One of the president's proposals would push up the start date for more favorable terms on a special loan repayment program based on income, according to White House domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes. Another measure would encourage graduates with two or more kinds of federal loans to consolidate them and get a small break on interest rates.

Obama is expected to discuss the two measures -- part of his announced strategy to bypass a polarized, seemingly ineffectual Congress -- during an appearance in Denver. The stop comes at the end of a three-day presidential trip to Nevada, California, and Colorado.

"We're just going to do this by ourselves. We can't wait for Congress," Education Secretary Arne Duncan told CNN Wednesday morning. This "is about putting more disposable income in people's pockets and helping them pay the rent or buy groceries or pay the electric bill." :snip:

------
The takeover continues.

Anastasia Tsuhlares, 20, an urban planning major at DePaul, will owe more than $100,000 when she graduates. She called the cost of higher education “ridiculous.”

While she likely will be eligible for the new Obama repayment plan, she did not find the proposal, which would have her paying student loans into her 40s, particularly helpful.

“That sounds insane for me to be in debt for half my life,” she said. “It’d be great if they could offer us some money.”

Wouldn't it though.

Edited by clearvision
left out a word

Anastasia Tsuhlares, 20, an urban planning major at DePaul, will owe more than $100,000 when she graduates. She called the cost of higher education “ridiculous.”

While she likely will be eligible for the new Obama repayment plan, she did not find the proposal, which would have her paying student loans into her 40s, particularly helpful.

“That sounds insane for me to be in debt for half my life,” she said. “It’d be great if they could offer us some money.”

Wouldn't though.

Maybe some of her classmates would donate some intelligence to her... since she obviously has obtained none while studying urban planning. If it "sounds insane" for her to be in debt for half her life, then why did she run up that debt? A college education obtained with a pile of bills is not essential to life, success or happiness.