Back to 1969?

Geee

back_to_1969.html
American Thinker:

Charles Dickens could have written about it: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way."

Not to mention tin soldiers and Nixon coming.

The following events happened within one month:

July 18: Ted Kennedy drove his car off the road at Chappaquiddik, killing Mary Jo Kopechne.
July 20: Men first walked on the moon, planting the US flag on it.
August 9: Members of Charlie Manson's cult murdered Sharon Tate, who was eight months pregnant, and three of her friends.
August 15-19: the Woodstock music festival was held in upstate New York.
About 900 US servicemen died in Vietnam.

Throughout that month, the number one pop hit was In the Year 2525. The top TV show was Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. The musical year was bookended by the Beatles giving their last performance in January and the Rolling Stones performing at Altamont in December, resulting in one homicide and three accidental deaths.

The year was 1969, the year of Easy Rider. One of that movie's famous lines was, "You know Billy, we blew it." Abbie Hoffman said, "The '60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great." He was later diagnosed as bipolar and committed suicide in 1989 in his apartment, a converted turkey coop.

The winners of Best Picture Oscars in 1964, '65 and '66 were My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and A Man for All Seasons. The Best Picture of 1969 was Midnight Cowboy. Something happened in the 60s, and I would call 1969 the Year of the Inflection Point. Coincidentally, I'm quite sure, that was the year I got a driver's license.snip

In 1969, I was 17. Never saw Midnight Cowboy. Never wanted to. Too busy sneaking in the drive-in to see Beach Blanket Bingo movies. What the hell was wrong with me?

Good article. It correctly identifies some of the dozens of worthless federal departments that should never have been created.

Left out Hurricane Camille, most powerful storm to hit USA next to 1928 Labor Day hurricane

Left out Manson Family and the Tate-LaBiance murders.

I would call 1969 the Year of the Inflection Point. Coincidentally, I'm quite sure, that was the year I got a driver's license.

Disagree, I believe 1968 was the year where everything started to change. Of course I could be wrong as that was the year I spent in the Land Of The Morning Calm....fighting crime evil and the great yellow peril.

I recall within 3-4 days of getting back asking myself...What Happened? What Happened to My Country?