Tunisians gloomy in town that launched Arab Spring

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
us-tunisia-vote-sidibouzid-idUSTRE79I6K120111019?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true
Reuters:

(Reuters) - In Sidi Bouzid in central Tunisia, there is little enthusiasm for a looming election that would not have happened without the revolutionary spark this desolate town provided one year ago.

"No, no no! I will not go to vote, elections do not interest me! Sidi Bouzid has become nothing more than a market for the propaganda of political parties," said Mabrouk Kedri, an unemployed English graduate, sharing a coffee shop table with unemployed friends. "I just want to work and live in dignity."

Last December Mohamed Bouazizi, a resident of Sidi Bouzid, set himself alight in protest against government corruption and unemployment. He later died, but his last protest set off the Arab Spring, a series of revolts that swept away Tunisia's then-president Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali and the of leaders Egypt and Libya.

Ten months after Ben Ali fled, this North African country is preparing for its first free elections Sunday to form a special assembly that will prepare a new constitution ahead of parliamentary and presidential elections.

In the cities along Tunisia's affluent Mediterranean coast, the political elite are growing increasingly concerned about the rise of an Islamist party which is the front-runner in the vote.

But in the impoverished interior the dire economic situation is the main concern, and many say it has got worse.

"Nothing has changed in Sidi Bouzid. The situation is catastrophic. There has been no impact in terms of investments in the city, contrary to all the promises," said Monji el-Aifi, a 50-year-old farmer.

"Frankly, we are not enthusiastic about the elections -- but we are excited and ready for a second revolution."
________

They're going to keep having revolutions until they get it right?

Until the Islamists gain full control and kill all of the opposition.

They sowed the wind, now they are going to reap the whirlwind.