Ohio Wages Fierce Fight on Collective Bargaining

clearvision

in-ohio-a-battle-over-public-employees-bargaining-rights.html
New York Times:

“Hi, Teresa,” said Phil Hayes, a high school social studies teacher. “I’m voting no on Senate Bill 5 because it can make my class size larger and can make it harder for me to be a teacher.”

That was how Mr. Hayes plunged into yet another call as he and a dozen other union members at a labor phone bank made hundreds of calls to urge Ohioans to repeal one of Gov. John R. Kasich’s signal achievements: the enactment of Senate Bill 5, a law that weakens public employees’ bargaining rights.

The push to repeal the law, enacted by the Republican-led legislature in March, will be one of the biggest battles in the country this Election Day, with the law’s supporters and opponents expected to spend in total more than $20 million in the fight. :snip:

A union-backed television commercial shows 3-year-old Zoey Quinn slumped on a Cincinnati firefighter’s arm as he rescued her from her family’s burning house. The advertisement warns that firefighters might not be able to save Zoey next time, because the law bars bargaining over minimum staffing levels.

Zoey’s great-grandmother, Marlene Quinn, says in the advertisement, “I don’t want the politicians in Columbus making decisions for the firefighters, police, teachers, nurses or any organization that’s helping people. Fewer firefighters can mean the difference between life or death.” :snip:

-----------
I'm so glad the unions are fighting for public safety. No way those evil elected school boards and city councils would care about the people.