Mormonism Not a Cult, Says Perry

Geee

perry-rejects-supporter-s-disparagement-of-romney-s-mormon-faith-20111007
National Journal:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Friday tersely repudiated the remarks of a Dallas pastor who disparaged the Mormon faith of Perry’s presidential rival, Mitt Romney shortly after introducing Perry at the Values Voters summit in Washington.

In Tiffin, Iowa, where Perry flew for a barbecue after his speech to the gathering of social conservatives, he was asked three times whether he agreed with the pastor Robert Jeffress’ characterization of Mormonism as “a cult.”

“No,” Perry said to the first question. To the second: “ No, I’ve already answered that back there. I told him no.” Asked by a third reporter whether he associated himself with the pastor’s remarks, Perry said: “I already answered that question,” before being whisked out the door.

Perry’s comments were his first public remarks on a contretemps that surfaced an issue that has long dogged Romney and now may haunt Romney as well: the question of whether religious differences will become a factor in the contest for the Republican presidential nomination. In comments to reporters after the governor’s speech at the Values Voters gathering, Jeffress bluntly predicted that it would.

He described Romney's Mormon faith as "a cult” and suggested that it precluded him from winning the support of evangelical voters.

"That is a mainstream view, that Mormonism is a cult," Jeffress told reporters. "Every true, born again follower of Christ ought to embrace a Christian over a non-Christian."

In subsequent interviews with with the National Journal and CBS News, Jeffress reiterated those views. Romney is “not a Christian,” said Jeffress. “That doesn’t mean he’s a bad person but I think his commitment to conservative values is highly suspect.”

Perry spokesman Mark Miner quickly distanced the campaign from Jeffress’ comments, telling National Journal and CBS News in an e-mail: “The governor does not believe Mormonism is a cult.”

The senior pastor at the First Baptist Church of Dallas, Jeffress said he is highlighting Romney’s religion deliberately because of the likelihood that the former Massachusetts governor could win the nomination. But Jeffress, who stayed behind long after his introduction to make himself available for media interviews, also revealed he has a book coming out in January about his religious views.

He predicted that Romney’s Mormon faith will be a “major factor” in the GOP contest.(snip)

Another false premise spread by the purveyors of deception as fact.

If he wants to look for a real cult, try the cult of Islam. It certainly didn't hurt the anointed "won".

Whether it is or is not, this kind of thing has no business in a political campaign!

Shades of Mike "the huckster" Huckabee.

Bill Bennett Excoriates Pastor Who Called Mormonism a ‘Cult’

Radio host Bill Bennett delivered a sharp rebuke Saturday to the pastor who said Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney belongs to a “cult” because he is Mormon.

Speaking at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C. shortly before Romney himself took the stage, Bennett, a former Reagan administration official, exhorted the audience: “Do not give voice to bigotry.”

“I’m thinking of the words of Mr. Jeffress, Pastor Jeffress,” Bennett said adding, “You stepped on and obscured the words of Perry and Santorum and Cain and Bachmann and everyone else who has spoken here. You did Rick Perry no good sir, in what you had to say.”

This is how it's done!

As shallow and if I may say false as this is, I know intelligent Christians that did not vote for him in the primaries last time because he was not a 'Christian' and I am afraid that might happen again. I wonder if there is a way of addressing this if he is the candidate. I don't want to name names but there was someone from WA who's name you would recognize who also made the statement that she would much rather vote for a Christian :blink:

righteousmomma

there was someone from WA who's name you would recognize who also made the statement that she would much rather vote for a Christian :blink:

I should hope all of us "Christians" would prefer to vote for a Christian. Does not mean we won't vote but does mean we can have preference in our understanding and knowledge of Biblical Doctrine and Precepts.

Jeffries has a point. I know many who in 08 were not voting for Romney because of his Mormonism.

I would have a tough choice - conscience wise- voting for him against an evangelical Christian of equal abilities and merits.

The whole matter in not so simple.

Another false premise spread by the purveyors of deception as fact.

No, what is spread by them is sensationalism and flaming soundbites that are taken literally by the purveyors of deception.

Whether it is or is not, this kind of thing has no business in a political campaign!

Shades of Mike "the huckster" Huckabee

Again not so simple. Whether it has business or not it has been put on the agenda in the seek and destroy efforts by the purveyors of deception.

As for Mormonism its pretty well known that they teach a different Jesus and a different Holy Spirit than mainline Christianity. Its pretty well known that they have added to the Gospel. Practicing Mormons are good people and very family oriented for the most part but way in the back of my mind I kind of have reservations.

Most Mormons self-identify as Christian, though some of their beliefs differ substantially from mainstream Christianity. Mormons believe in the Bible, as well as other books of scripture, such as the Book of Mormon. They have a unique view of cosmology, and believe that all people are spirit-children of God. Mormons believe that returning to God requires following the example of Jesus Christ, as well as accepting his atonement through specific ordinances such as baptism. They believe the authority to perform these ordinances was restored through Joseph Smith, and that their church is guided by living prophets and apostles. Central to Mormon faith is the belief that God speaks to his children and answers their prayers.

Frankly, Methodist Perry's response disappointed Methodist me but I understand why he said what he said. World of Pcness we live in would not have any other answer than his.

As shallow and if I may say false as this is, I know intelligent Christians that did not vote for him in the primaries last time because he was not a 'Christian'

I would question a person intelligence if they did not vote for Romney because he wasn't a Christian....and did at TOS.

There were/are many good and valid reasons not to vote/support Romney....his faith is not one of them.

PS: There are also many good and valid reasons to vote/support Romney.....and his faith is not one of them.

Whether or not Mormonism is or is not a cult is a subject that belongs in theology and related discussions NOT politics.

My take...

Hebrews 1:5-13