U.S. Hikers Released From Iranian Prison, Arrive in Oman

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
lawyer-for-2-us-hikers-says-bail-deal-approved
Fox News:

TEHRAN – After more than two years in custody, the two American hikers jailed as spies in Iran were released on $1 million bail Wednesday and flown out of the country, the state's news agency reported.

The plane carrying the freed hikers has landed in Muscat, Oman. It is unclear how long the men will stay in the Gulf state before heading home to the U.S.

Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, both 29, who are friends from their days at the University of California at Berkeley, were released into the custody of an Omani delegation.

Their families released a statement thanking the Omani envoy and the Swiss ambassador to Iran among others.

"Today can only be described as the best day of our lives," the statement read. "We have waited for nearly 26 months for this moment and the joy and relief we feel at Shane and Josh's long-awaited freedom knows no bounds."

President Obama, meanwhile, "welcomed" the release of the hikers.

"I welcome the release of Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal from detention in Iran and am very pleased that they are being reunited with their loved ones," Obama said in a statement.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton joined the president in welcoming the hikers' release.

"I am grateful for the efforts of all those who have worked for their release," Clinton said in a statement.

The men were arrested along the Iran-Iraq border in July 2009 and sentenced in August to eight years in prison. A third American in the group, Sarah Shourd, was freed last year on bail.
________

Welcome home!

The two were anti-war activists and members of the Palestinian Solidarian Movement. Liberal activists up to no good, they deserve every bit of the crap they've gone through. I hope that they've learned a lesson or two.

Anyone stupid enough to be hiking in Iran, of all places, is asking for trouble. No sympathy here.

RandyM!

Bump.

And Oman paid the $ 1 million bail. But don't you expect somehow tax payer dollars will eventually pay for it?

I have a hard time having any sympathy for these liberal fools.

Cudjo! You are a very hard person...

... and I share your feelings 100%. B)

BTW, I wonder if Barry will invite them to a special event at the White House now that they're global celebrities.

Here is an article from Haaretz about the three bozo's trip and thinking.

"U.S. hikers detained in Iran are like 'three Rachel Corries', says friend.

"Shon Meckfessel says he and his friends have spent their life fighting injustice in the Middle East."

LINK

I assume they are delighted to have experienced Middle East injustice. :)

"U.S. hikers detained in Iran are like 'three Rachel Corries', says friend.

I'm sure they'd be crushed at any comparison to Rachel Corrie, saying, "That's just flat wrong."

I look at them as circling the gene pool drain; as their personal politics blindly led them into the enlightened empire of mad mullahs bent on genocide.

Just slightly less intellect might have placed them in any one of the other 7th century progressive, "Religion of Peace" utopia's....where they could have been minor stars in yet another Mid-East "beheading youtube."

I'm sure they'd be crushed at any comparison to Rachel Corrie, saying, "That's just flat wrong."

Almost ashamed that I thought that was a funny line. :)

Almost.