The Reagan Library/MSNBC/Politico debate

Geee

reagan-librarymsnbcpolitico-debate
Washington Examiner:

The biggest mystery about the Reagan Library/MSNBC debate last night is why the Reagan Library allowed MSNBC to be the co-sponsor. Brian Williams, whom I haven’t watched much in recent years, seems to have been drinking liberally of the MSNBC kool-aid; many of his questions were so steeped in liberal distaste for Republican positions that it was embarrassing. There was no questioning about the nation’s fiscal position, aside from asking whether Rick Perry would abjure $1 of tax increases in return for $10 of spending cuts, very little on the macroeconomy and very little on foreign and defense policy.

Even so, most of the Republican candidates performed pretty well. My overall take is that Rick Perry, in his first presidential debate ever, did not perform commensurately with his recent lead in the polls, but did not do badly either; Mitt Romney was smooth and sometimes even interesting; and some of the other candidates did quite well. If that’s the way Republican primary voters and caucusgoers see things, the result may be to tighten the race for the nomination. The more so since, as I wrote in my Wednesday Examiner column, none of these candidates has very solid support and voters today know a lot less about them than they will by the time they get a chance to vote.

Let me go over the candidates’ performances, in the order in which they appear in the most recent realclearpolitics.com average of recent polls.snip

I didn't realize until the start of the debate at the Reagan Library was hosted by ... MSNBC and Politico? They let those people in there?

I don't think this debate turned into the destructive bust the Left hoped for. The obvious bias in questions was ridiculous, but I think the candidates in general did well. The most irritating thing to me was the time allocation. Bachmann, Paul, and Cain seemed short-shirted. Meanwhile, Huntsman, who has no chance, ... I constantly heard him because was ready to trash the other candidates. This early in a primary I think every candidate should have equal time, regardless.