Perry and Romney lock horns at GOP debate

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
politics-decision_2012
MSNBC:

Eager to tangle, Republican presidential rivals Rick Perry and Mitt Romney each laid claim to a better job-creating record as governor Wednesday night in a campaign debate that marked a new turn in the race to pick a challenger to President Barack Obama next year.

Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, said when he came to office, the state was in "free fall," claiming to have created more jobs in office than Obama has for the entire nation.

Perry, the governor of Texas, countered by saying that 1988 Democratic presidential nominee (and former Massachusetts governor) "Michael Dukakis created jobs three times faster than you, Mitt."

"As a matter of fact, George Bush and his predecessors created jobs at a faster rate than you did," Romney immediately shot back.

Other political news of note Obama hits all-time low, NBC News/WSJ poll finds
When Barack Obama unveils his jobs and economic plan on Thursday, he'll do so at the lowest point of his presidency, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Perry also contended that Texas created more jobs in the past three months than Massachusetts did during Romney's entire tenure as governor.
________

From what I've seen, Perry seems to be holding his own for the most part although Romney still looks like one of the adults there.

I hope NBC or who ever is the sponsor has not been just picking on the tough "Republican" issues and picked some targets on the other side.

I missed too much to have any idea how Perry did. The onle loaded one on science and global warming he did not do great at in his response and he clearly knew it would be asked.

Chris Mathews cuts in and pretty much says Republicans are doomed with an anti-science candidate and will be considered Luddites for not believing in Climate Change and the US will collapse in the world because of this. NBC off.

Yes started at 7 central

I only caught a part of it. Left the apartment to come home and finish watching and saw Rachel Maddow and Ed Schultz....icky.

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney and Huntsman, I think, came out ahead. Romney had a good line about how we'll never have to have a debate about Keynesian economics again because Obama has proven they don't work; had some good lines about how Obama never worked. Huntsman disappointed me by sticking with his climate change response but otherwise came across as mature. Bachmann and Gingrich both gave some substantive responses on immigration and homeland security. Santorum seems to be getting more desperate.

Compared to Obama they were all phenomenal!! For the most part they avoided attacking each other and they didn't bite on the questions they were asked that encouraged them to do that. I thought the guy from Politico was downright obnoxious with most of the questions he asked. All debaters acted like grown-ups and were well prepared. Having said that, I think Romney did the best this time.

Questions

Is not even dear Elmer Fudd better than Obama?

Why was Ron Paul invited? Ron Paul should be kept away from women, children, and minorities, as well as debates.

Questions

Why was Ron Paul invited? Ron Paul should be kept away from women, children, and minorities, as well as debates.

Moderator: A long time ago, a fellow Texan of yours, a young student teacher in Cotulla, Texas, was horrified to see young kids coming into the classroom hungry, some of them with distended bellies because of hunger. He made a vow that if he ever had anything to do about it, the government would provide meals, hot meals at best, in schools. The young student teacher, of course, was -- later went on to be President Lyndon Johnson. Do you think that is any more -- providing nutrition at schools for children -- a role of the federal government?

PAUL: Well, I'm sure, when he did that, he did it with local government, and there's no rules against that. That'd be fine. So that doesn't imply that you want to endorse the entire welfare state. You imply (ph) I'd endorse all welfare (ph). Any time I challenge it, you're going to challenge the whole welfare system.

No. It isn't authorized in the Constitution for us to run a welfare state. And it doesn't work. All it's filled up with is mandates. And the mandates are what we're objecting to. I want to repeal all the mandates.

But, yes, if there are poor people in Texas, we have a responsibility -- I'd like to see it voluntary as possible -- but under our Constitution, our states have that right -- if they feel the obligation, they have a perfect right to.

So don't always try to turn around and say that we who believe in liberty, we lack compassion, because we who believe in liberty and understand the market, we're the only ones that really understand how people are taken care of, how they are fed, and how people have jobs. It's the market. It's never the government that does it.

So this whole idea that there's something wrong with people who don't lavish out free stuff from the federal government somehow aren't compassionate enough. I resist those accusations.

Paul has his moments.

The problem with Ron Paul in front of a microphone is something like this...

"Makes sense statement well explained."

"Makes even more sense statement."

"Logical, well thought out statement spoken eloquently..."

"I'm coo coo for Cocoa Puffs!!!!!!"

Cocoa.png

Questions

Is not even dear Elmer Fudd better than Obama?

I like Ron Paul in the Republican Primary debate. I think he presents the most fiscal conservative and most constitutional points as a polarized stance. I think that's a good counterpoint for debates. He is very right on some points. Meanwhile, his isolation foreign policy and other points are so wrong that it makes him completely un-electable. For the primary, I like Paul challenging the other candidates. My problem with Paul starts when he loses the Republican Primary and runs as an Independent.

Saltbagshout

You raise excellent points as to the value of Paul in sticking to conservative fiscal points.

(Although I'd still put him the Coo Coo category along with NCTexanshout putting him in that category not that I meant NCTexan should be in that category :lol: