Wildfires Scorch Thousands of Acres in Texas, Kill 2

Geee

woman-child-killed-when-texas-fire-engulfs-home
Fox News:

Wildfires fueled in part by high winds from former Tropical Storm Lee have burned thousands of acres across Texas, causing widespread damage and forcing hundreds to evacuate.

A fire near the East texas community of Gladewater killed 20-year-old mother and her daughter when it engulfed the family’s trailer home before they could escape. A male occupant of the home sustained minor burns but was able to get out, and he frantically searched for the others, County Sheriff Maxey Cerliano said.

"The houses that were in its path on this particular roadway were taken out," the longtime sheriff said. "... There were many other houses that the fire got right up to the porch."

Cerliano said it was the fastest-moving fire he's ever seen. Six homes were toppled within minutes.

Texas Forest Service officials estimated some 1,400 acres were burned in that area alone, destroying homes, barns and vehicles, and thousands of other acres were scorched in other parts of the state.

"We've completely depleted our resources," Melanie Spradling, a public information officer with the Texas Forestry Service, told the Tyler Morning Telegraph. "We're on every fire we can possibly handle and then some."

Wildfires scorched more than 14,000 acres in Bastrop County, just southeast of Austin. Bastrop police spokesman Michal Hubbard told the Austin American-Statesman that hundreds of homes were evacuated in the vicinity of the county seat.

Fox7 Austin reported that the fire had damaged or destroyed more than 300 homes,

Bastrop officials said it could take days to control the fire because their resources are stretched thin across Central Texas.snip

I went to bed last with some trepidation last night. So far, my immediate area is OK, but it's hard to tell what is smoke and what is dust on the horizon. It's a very dangerous situation.

righteousmomma

Ditto - and for Leilani (Austin) and OCTex (near Dallas)and all my other Texas friends who are suffering in this drought - especially my rancher friends who have no feed left for cattle and horses and are being forced to sell or import very expensive feed.

We ask, Lord, for the mercy of rain to quench the thirst of land and people and to drown the fires.

Right now just need the wind to die down. Fire where about 1/3 of my son's swim team and 1/2 the scouts in his BS troop live has evacuated 4000 homes with no power and no gas. 20 homes gone, 20 damaged. Lots of flare ups because of wind. People are being told not likely to get back in today.

They are going to be getting air support and water from Lake Travis now. Got a dog out of a house that burned, he is ok.

(Steiner Ranch fire)

Horrible. Praying for rain without wind. And safety of each of you!

It is pretty gusty today. So many people who were not home at the time the fire started have pets in the house and cannot get back into the subdivision to get them out.

God bless the firemen!

Horrible. Praying for rain without wind. And safety of each of you!

It is pretty gusty today. So many people who were not home at the time the fire started have pets in the house and cannot get back into the subdivision to get them out.

God bless the firemen!

Rheo - we're OK up here for now. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

righteousmomma

I just posted on the porch that some friends of ours have a home in Bastrop County in Tahitian Village. They have been traveling, just got off the plane and can't go home.

I just posted on the porch that some friends of ours have a home in Bastrop County in Tahitian Village. They have been traveling, just got off the plane and can't go home.

I just saw Tahitian Village on the news. Wow. Glad they're OK, though.