Hurricane Hysteria: Media Fueled Needless Panic Over Irene

Pepper

idUS224461771320110828
Reuters:

Hurricane Hysteria: Media Fueled Needless Panic Over Irene

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/28/idUS224461771320110828

It goes without saying that this weekend has been all-hurricane all the time. Those watching the news have been privy to discussions of everything from how water can move benches to how wind can take down trees. In some cases, these stories have ended tragically with the loss of life or destruction of homes.
However, the media -- all of it, from broadcast to print to social -- generated a hurricane hysteria that overwhelmed what was an unfortunate but ultimately modestly destructive storm.
Few put it better than Gawker’s founder Nick Denton on Twitter:
“The real vortex of Hurricane Irene: the feedback loop between mainstream and social media. Hype fueling hype.”
snip

Hurricane Irene: A Whirling Hype Machine

ray
3 hours ago+2
Share | Flag
Last night a reporter from TWC was standing outside reporting how bad it was and there was no traffic and everyone was inside. During that time he couldn't hardly stand up but in the back ground I counted 25 cars go by and 3 people walking down the sidewalk with no problems at all. I am pretty sure when they report the flooding they will find the deepest hole they can find to stand in.

Get Real: Hurricane Irene Should Be Renamed "Hurricane Hype"
Get Real: Hurricane Irene Should Be Renamed "Hurricane Hype"

Meteorologist: #Irene is All Hype

I do have to admit when it looked like a possible cat 3/4 (not cat 3/4 but cat 3 or 4) going up the east coast things looked a little dire, but about 72 hours out that started to fall apart.

Clearvision!

The NWS needs to alert people. It could have been a big monster, but it did not materialize. There were no words of calm that I heard from people in charge, just dire warnings of TEOTWAWKI. And then those idiots standing in the wind saying don't do this at home.

The problem with the media hype is that anywhere from 65 million to 125 million people depending on whom you believe now think they have survived a major hurricane. So, if some monster does move up the east coast, many will not heed common sense.

If this thing had gone into the Gulf coast at the same strength there would not be the continual coverage on at least three or four channels for two days. Few Gulf coast residents would have left for a 75 mile an hour storm. And if it had hit Texas, people would have been standing in the streets with buckets and kitchen pots and pans (due to the drought for those in Rio Linda).

As soon as this dropped to cat 2/1 after the Bahamas the hype should have stopped. That does not mean people would not die, there would not be property loss, etc., but a winter snow storm or a tornado outburst could cause more havoc than this. I do discount any destruction on the coast, if you build, live on the coast you must assume your house will be lost, extensively damaged at least twice in your life time.

Clearvision! TWC has every reason to hype it 24 hours a day, they have hit some viewer lows since the hurricane season has not been active, but for Fox, MSNBC and others to continue? Nuts. Whoraldo on now with Julie Banderas at Battery Park. Oh the humanity!

With this type of news and throw in the histrionic Bob Beckel and The Five you can see that Fox is indeed hitting the bottom of the barrel and joining PMSNBC.

The real damage of Irene will be in areas away from NYC like Connecticut and Maine due to rains causing flooding. But they won't get the billing.

Here's what happens when you choose to live on the coast

I think these guy's were the best during the earthquake coverage.......talk about "huevos of steel!" They could have handled the hurricane with both hands tied behind their backs!

NSFW-Some minor language, but can you blame them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hiyLID1sY&feature=player_embedded

H/T:TheAwesomer

Edited late at night, after reading my post, and finding that it didn't make much sense.....so WTH....

Edited by SrWoodchuck

Clearvision! TWC has every reason to hype it 24 hours a day, they have hit some viewer lows since the hurricane season has not been active, but for Fox, MSNBC and others to continue? Nuts. Whoraldo on now with Julie Banderas at Battery Park. Oh the humanity!

With this type of news and throw in the histrionic Bob Beckel and The Five you can see that Fox is indeed hitting the bottom of the barrel and joining PMSNBC.

The real damage of Irene will be in areas away from NYC like Connecticut and Maine due to rains causing flooding. But they won't get the billing.

Here's what happens when you choose to live on the coast

All that work for hurricane proof houses and then no roads left...

snip

All that work for hurricane proof houses and then no roads left...

Good point. That will be the next shovel ready focus.

In an effort to build excitement and drama...

Fox turned the 5 "storm related" deaths into "5 KILLED BY IRENE IN NC!!!"

Several were killed by Irene when trees blew over on them from the winds. However, I know that one death was an elderly man who suffered a heart attack while putting up plywood... another was a man who was driving too fast and hit standing water, losing control and crashing into a tree. I question if these two were "killed by Irene".

Then what if a woman ran a stop light heading to the grocery for batteries would be call "death by Irene".

Some of these could better be called "Killed by Amped-up reporting".

Two of the overall dead were "playing" in the storm. One surfing and another doing something along a river.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is temporarily suspending some payments to rebuild roads, schools and other structures destroyed during spring tornadoes in Joplin, Mo., and Southern states and other recent natural disasters to pay for damage caused by Hurricane Irene.

shoutPepper Didn't see that coming did you?