Steve Jobs quits as CEO of Apple

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
steve-jobs-quits-as-head-of-apple-2011-08-24?dist=afterbell
Market Watch:

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) — Steve Jobs, the iconic leader of Apple Inc. who transformed the habits of generations of consumers by creating a slew of innovative products and has battled several illnesses in recent years, resigned as chief executive of the technology giant Wednesday, saying “the day has come” for him to step down.

Jobs, who made everything from the personal computer to the iPod, iPhone and iPad a part of daily life, submitted a letter to the Apple board of directors announcing that he would leave as CEO, and the board has appointed long-time lieutenant Tim Cook to replace him on Jobs recommendation. Jobs, however, will remain with Apple as the company’s chairman.

“I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come,” Jobs said in his letter.

Cook, who previously served as chief operating officer and has taken the helm for Jobs as he has battled illness in recent years, assumes control immediately, the company said.
________

It's the end of an era...

pollyannaish

Sad. The man was definitely a visionary.

I hope he isn't out for good.

That said, I think Apple will be just fine as long as Jonathan Ive is still at the helm of the Industrial Design division. That guy is one of my heroes.

I hate Apple computers, I hate the whole concept of IPhones, IBooks and IWhatever as an abomination......the whole concept of being forced into 24/7 contact with the entire globe is offensive.

I carry a cell phone, it ain't "smart", but it does allow me to make phone calls. I carry it because the world requires it, not because I want to.

Just call me an OLD FART!!!