Bachmann wins GOP 2012 test vote

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
US_IOWA_STRAW_POLL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-08-13-19-18-52
AP:

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann won a test vote of Iowans on Saturday, a show of popularity and organizational strength for the tea party favorite five months before the state's caucuses kick off the GOP presidential nominating season.

The result is the first indication of what Iowans think of the field of Republicans competing for the chance to challenge President Barack Obama next fall. But it's hardly predictive of who will win the winter Iowa contest, much less the party nod or the White House.

Rather, Saturday's outcome suggests that Bachmann has a certain level of support and, perhaps even more important, the strongest get-out-the-vote operation and widest volunteer base in a state whose caucuses require those elements.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul finished a close second while former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty placed a distant third.

"We have a lot more work to do," Pawlenty said, making clear he wasn't dropping out despite a disappointing finish. "We are just beginning and I'm looking forward to a great campaign."

The results of the nonbinding vote, held on the Iowa State University campus, came just hours after Texas Gov. Rick Perry entered the race.
________

Well, this was interesting.

pollyannaish

I may be the only one on this forum, but I far prefer Palin to Bachmann. There is something about her that feels very uptight to me. I'm not a huge fan of her approach and I won't be voting for her in the primaries. I do wish her the best and am not surprised that she won the straw poll. She definitely appeals to idealogues and that is not a bad thing. Don't take this the wrong way...but I have similar gut level reactions to her as I did to Obama. I just agree with her more.

I agree that Bachmann comes across as uptight. She'll work on that, I'm sure, but I doubt she'll ever be as charismatic as Palin. Palin has proven she can take the heat. Bachmann is going to have to stun us, because this campaign is going to get real ugly.