Mayor Nutter’s Call

Geee

mayor-nutter-s-call-rich-lowry
National Review:

Mayor Michael Nutter of Philadelphia was true to his word when he took to the pulpit at Mount Carmel Baptist Church and prefaced his remarks: “I’m going to say some things this morning that I know from time to time many of you think, but may not say. They will not be PC.”

He proceeded to unloose a 25-minute speech that must rank among the most brutally forthright calls for personal responsibility and adult authority that an elected official has ever delivered in these United States.

Philadelphia has been beset by “flash mobs,” roving bands of teenagers who descend on innocent bystanders to beat and rob them in a miniature version of the senseless destruction that has engulfed London. Urban violence always occasions tawdry excuse-making under the guise of a search for “root causes.” With a pungent plainspokenness, Nutter zeroed in on the true root causes — irresponsible parents and their ignorant, slovenly, and undisciplined kids.

“Parents,” Nutter said, “get your act together. Get it together, right now!” On the cusp of officially announcing a new curfew for teenagers that will bring potential sanctions for the parents of violators, Nutter warned neglectful parents: “You’re going to find yourself spending some quality time with your kids in jail, together.”

And that was practically the warm-and-fuzzy portion of his presentation. He had scorching words for absent fathers in a city with an astronomical black illegitimacy rate: “You’re not a father just because you have a kid, or two, or three.” If you’re not providing moral instruction to your children and instead are sending child-support payments, “you’re just a human ATM.” If you’re doing neither, “you’re just a sperm donor.”snip

Geee!

It has come down to this. A need for someone to act as the missing parental figure for a generation of losers raised by a generation of losers, all courtesy of LBJ and the Democrats.

Good speech. It takes a black mayor to say it and not get immediately crucified. Eventually he'll be crucified, but we might have him for a little longer.

I wonder how many of those he was actually addressing heard what he said.

If the choir behind him was any indication, most of them.

pollyannaish

While actions speak louder than words...words get the actions started. I would vote for this guy in a second no matter what letter appeared behind his name. And then I would expect actions based on those words.