Rainbow Connection? Online Push Under Way for Bert and Ernie to Get Married on 'Sesame Street'

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?test=latestnews
Fox News:

An online push is under way to pressure the producers of "Sesame Street" into having Bert and Ernie get married.

More than 900 people have signed a petition about the pair of platonic puppets on Change.org as of early Wednesday.

"We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful," the petition reads. "It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different."

The sexuality of Bert and Ernie -- perhaps the kid show's most popular characters -- has long been debated since the roommates sleep in the same room and constantly bicker.

The petition also asks that "Sesame Street" producers consider adding a transgender character to the show, which premiered in 1969 on Public Broadcasting Service.

The online campaign also has a companion Facebook page that has attracted as least 350 supporters as of Wednesday.

"Part of me is laughing and the other is crying," one posting read.

Another read: "Is Elton John going to play at the wedding?"

In a statement to FoxNews.com, the non-profit Sesame Workshop said the pair are simply "best friends."

"They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves," the statement read.
________

They're BFFs... :rolleyes:

pollyannaish

Well good for Sesame Street. Having a same sex best friend is essential for children the age of SS viewers, and to mess that up would be to further mess up our culture.

Sick. Period.

Agenda driven television, for the wee ones.

It will help them when they go to school & a majority of their classmates have same-sex parents, you know.[/sarc]

This is more than a "pendulum that must swing back" for equal rights....it's a form of recruitment....a softening up of impressionable minds. Should these subjects be covered in a class in school.....maybe, since parents abdicate their responsibility to inform, but not at the loss of innocence. It can be covered in a biology/human nature course as a chapter on sexual orientation in nature, and humans as a smaller part of that.....and students with questions or concerns can be directed to further counseling or a note can be sent to the parents.

On another aspect of this issue:

During the depression, and before, people having little money had to bunk with same sex "sleep/bed mates." No stigma attached.

Were Laurel & Hardy gay? The Lone Ranger & Tonto? The Odd Couple.....OK....maybe Felix Unger.....but does everything need to be seen through the sweaty sexual lens of an overheated gay agenda? Abraham Lincoln? Ridiculous! If you need contemporary gay icons to validate your sexual preference, because it is far from the norm; does that signal some massive insecurity? Of course they can't go back to the days of ancient Greece, when gay sex was a part of culture, because few people know who Sappho was.......

I dread the day that Sesame Street has Bert & Ernie "demo" rolling on a condom, to have safe sex......using the word B-A-N-A-N-A.

pollyannaish

Amen!

I personally believe that the complete removal of the taboo of the sexualization of children is not far around the corner in our society...and with that will come great destruction.

Already those who push back at things that are considered unfun prudes.

I saw photos recently that Vogue is publishing of 12 year old models. It was horrific. In the 80s Vogue started using drag queens for models. And look where that got us. This, sadly, can not be far behind.

Amen!

I personally believe that the complete removal of the taboo of the sexualization of children is not far around the corner in our society...and with that will come great destruction.

I saw photos recently that Vogue is publishing of 12 year old models. It was horrific. In the 80s Vogue started using drag queens for models. And look where that got us. This, sadly, can not be far behind.

First will come the legalization of polygamy, not long after the Supreme Court forces queer "marriage" on the nation.

The queers will then use it to attempt a backdoor (no pun intended) end run to have Christianity banned in the name of "anti-discrimination." Since they cannot ban Christianity directly, they'll just sue any church that refuses to "marry" them and then try to get the courts, states, or Congress to make it mandatory or the church will be closed down.

Sometime after that is when they'll push to legalize pedophilia, first by dropping the age of consent a few years, and then doing away with it entirely. One problem they will have is there is no federal law regarding age of consent, it is a state matter and each state has varying laws.

I'm not even sure the current Supreme Court, or one with a similar makeup, would go so far as to repeal all state age of consent laws so it might take a little longer than the queers have taken.

Personally, regardless of what the law says, if some pervert touched my kid, I would execute them on the spot and take my chances at trial.

Amen!

First will come the legalization of polygamy, not long after the Supreme Court forces queer "marriage" on the nation.

The queers will then use it to attempt a backdoor (no pun intended) end run to have Christianity banned in the name of "anti-discrimination." Since they cannot ban Christianity directly, they'll just sue any church that refuses to "marry" them and then try to get the courts, states, or Congress to make it mandatory or the church will be closed down.

Sometime after that is when they'll push to legalize pedophilia, first by dropping the age of consent a few years, and then doing away with it entirely. One problem they will have is there is no federal law regarding age of consent, it is a state matter and each state has varying laws.

I'm not even sure the current Supreme Court, or one with a similar makeup, would go so far as to repeal all state age of consent laws so it might take a little longer than the queers have taken.

Personally, regardless of what the law says, if some pervert touched my kid, I would execute them on the spot and take my chances at trial.

Man, you really paint a dark picture of our society. While I would agree that our judicial system has run amok in pushing the envelope regarding the scope of their powers, however, I refuse to accept the premise that our society would sink to the depths that you describe.