Paul Ryan: Republican Budget Would’ve Prevented Downgrade, According to S&P Source

Chickadee

Paul%20Ryan.jpgThe Weekly Standard:

Paul Ryan: Republican Budget Would’ve Prevented Downgrade, According to S&P Source

2:26 PM, Aug 8, 2011 • By DANIEL HALPER

Yesterday on Fox News Sunday, Paul Ryan responded to Standard & Poor’s downgrading of America’s long-term debt by explaining to host Chris Wallace that Republicans in the House “passed a budget, which according to somebody from S&P yesterday, would have prevented this downgrade from happening in the first place.” America’s credit rating was downgraded to AA+ Friday night from AAA, the highest rating given out by the New York-based agency.

Paul Ryan

Ryan, chairman of the House Budget Committee, went on to explain how his budget plan deals with the long-term entitlement problem, which S&P refers to in its downgrade report. “We passed a budget that would make debt peak in two years at 74.5 percent GDP and it goes steadily down from thereon after,” Ryan said. “So, we put out a plan, very specific plan to address the situation, pay off the debt, balance the budget, reform the tax code to create jobs in the economy. You got to have two things, spending cuts and debt reduction, along with economic growth and job creation.”

The Ryan budget, after passing in the House, failed to gain the Senate’s approval. Even so, it’s almost certain the president would not have signed the bill.

snip

pollyannaish

This is the kinda stuff we should be saying...a keep saying it...over and over

Amen. But I have to say, that Obama's insistence today that "We are and will always be a triple A country" reminded me so much of really bad American Idol contestants I could barely stand it. You're standing in front of the judging committee, they've just told you that you can't hold a tune...and you arrogantly argue with them that they will be sorry because you're going to be the biggest thing ever—all your friends say so!

It's embarrassing. He is NOT a serious man. And I am afraid his followers will have the same, self deluding attitude.

Amen. But I have to say, that Obama's insistence today that "We are and will always be a triple A country" reminded me so much of really bad American Idol contestants I could barely stand it. You're standing in front of the judging committee, they've just told you that you can't hold a tune...and you arrogantly argue with them that they will be sorry because you're going to be the biggest thing ever—all your friends say so!

It's embarrassing. He is NOT a serious man. And I am afraid his followers will have the same, self deluding attitude.

Polly! His followers are lost souls.

Anyone who could have any belief in this mistake of humanity is seriously deranged..

pollyannaish

Polly! His followers are lost souls.

Anyone who could have any belief in this mistake of humanity is seriously deranged..

Yup. But they are out here...with upturned worshiping faces. Every time I see one, I do a double take because it's so hard for me to believe.