Senate tables Boehner debt plan

Rheo

174475-senate-rejects-boehner-debt-plan-table
The Hill:

The Senate on Friday evening rejected House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) plan to raise the debt limit, upping the ante in the game of chicken between House and Senate.

The 59 to 41 vote, on a motion to table the resolution passed by the House less than two-hours before, ran along party lines easily reaching the the simple majority required to sink legislation in the upper chamber.

The onus is now on Senate Democrats to put together a bipartisan bill to increase the debt limit that can win 60 votes in the upper chamber.

Senate Democrats strategy is to send such a compromise vehicle back to the House on Tuesday, which would put intense pressure on House GOP leaders to accept it or risk a national default after Aug. 2.

If Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) can persuade at least seven Republicans to join the Democratic caucus in passing debt-limit legislation, it would give him the upper hand in the standoff with Boehner.

Sen. Scott Brown, a moderate Republican from Massachusetts, has said he would vote for Reid’s plan and is working with the majority leader to strengthen it. snip

Reid is a sycophantic whining piece of debris, the perfect tool of the Left.

Am disappointed in what the House did. They should have left it at CCB.

When Reid and Chuck U Schumer get through and pass the trash back, there'll be more compromising. If what happens is a meaningless cut, and Obama does not have to revisit the debt or deficit issue in 2012, I think every congressman who voted to support this is subject to removal in 2012.

Senate Blocks Boehner, Then Reid Objects to Own Bill . . .

Andrew Stiles

9/29/11

The Senate has just voted to “table” the deficit-reduction bill just passed by the House hours earlier. The motion passed 59 to 41, with six Republicans — Paul, Vitter, Lee, Hatch, Graham and DeMint — joining the Democrats. Prior to the vote, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) offered to hold a cloture vote on the legislation proposed by Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.), noting that the House had already scheduled a vote on Reid’s plan for 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. Reid clearly does not have the 60 votes he would need to end a filibuster, and said he’d be happy to hold the vote if McConnell would agree to make it a simply majority vote. The Republican leader responded that he was “genuinely perplexed” by Reid’s request. “It looks like the House will vote on the Senate plan before the Senate does,” joked McConnell.

Reid is a sycophantic whining piece of debris, the perfect tool of the Left.

Am disappointed in what the House did. They should have left it at CCB.

When Reid and Chuck U Schumer get through and pass the trash back, there'll be more compromising. If what happens is a meaningless cut, and Obama does not have to revisit the debt or deficit issue in 2012, I think every congressman who voted to support this is subject to removal in 2012.

See the next reply...

The motion passed 59 to 41, with six Republicans — Paul, Vitter, Lee, Hatch, Graham and [/b]DeMint[/b]

See the next reply...

The motion passed 59 to 41, with six Republicans — Paul, Vitter, Lee, Hatch, Graham and [/b]DeMint[/b]

Sen. Paul Statement on House Passage of Debt Ceiling Plan

Jul 29, 2011

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Following tonight's House passage the debt ceiling plan and its move to the Senate, Sen. Rand Paul issued the following statement:

"I stand in opposition tonight to the recent debt 'deal' passed in the House and presented to the Senate. This two-tier approach allows for a $1 trillion debt limit increase immediately, while putting off the discussion of a Balanced Budget Amendment to a later date. I've pledged to not vote for any debt limit increase not tied to a Balanced Budget Amendment. Increased debt now, with promises to fix the problem later, is what has gotten us into our current debt crisis. I remain committed to working with my colleagues to find a solution that raises the debt limit while fixing the debt problem."

SrWoodchuck

I kind of expected that it would turn this way. Demint got the word to the South Carolina House members & they voted against Boehner, en bloc. Bachmann also insists on a BBA. I'm thinking that any bill from Dingy, should be fought & shot down in the House........letting Obama overreach with a 14th Amendment grab & then own the whole sorry fiasco. I'd fight tooth & nail against Obama using the 14th, through the courts & in Congress......as we will have a dictatorship, if Obama succeeds in circumventing Congress [particularly the House's ability to fund.]

SrWoodChuck! Rheo!

Obama on the tube tonight (Sunday) trying to remain the only adult in the room is like a movie scene where the oldest son goes to college, runs through all his room and board money, and racks up more bills, parties, sends letters home saying all is well despite failing, asks for more money, then returns home after a year to find his parents have themselves gone into debt to keep his pimply ass in college and has the gall to say - well, Mom, Dad, if you both took second jobs, I could complete my engineering degree in 4 years.

Mom, Dad, if you both took second jobs, I could complete my engineering degree in 4 years.

shoutPepper

Might I offer a slight edit to your excellent analogy.... "....I could complete my engineering Diversity Studies degree in four six years."

An engineering degree provides a useful eduction and the possibility of the recipient contributing something meaningful to society...

... and I'm sure that no elite university could cram the study of centuries of injustice and victimization into just four short years.

I kind of expected that it would turn this way. Demint got the word to the South Carolina House members & they voted against Boehner, en bloc. Bachmann also insists on a BBA. I'm thinking that any bill from Dingy, should be fought & shot down in the House........letting Obama overreach with a 14th Amendment grab & then own the whole sorry fiasco. I'd fight tooth & nail against Obama using the 14th, through the courts & in Congress......as we will have a dictatorship, if Obama succeeds in circumventing Congress [particularly the House's ability to fund.]

The 14th Amendment angle was a non-starter.

righteousmomma

I was having a wait and see attitude about this new deal. Now that I hear who is for it -like Dick Durbin for one - I am against it.

WE WERE ALREADY DOWNGRADED IN CREDIT THIS WEEKEND.

SrWoodchuck

The 14th Amendment angle was a non-starter.

Welcome, shoutRant!

I don't count anything out of the sphere of possibility, for Obama & the progressives. They are still talking about it & if he thought it was possible he'd grab the chance. Other than that, they'll continue with their "death-by-a-thousand-cuts."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGoheHOfPk&feature=player_embedded