Candidate-Thaddeus McCotter

Rheo

“The core of our inheritance from our Founding Fathers is that our liberty is from God, not the government.”

– Congressman Thaddeus McCotter

gallery_3_15_16254.jpg

Born in Detroit, U.S. Representative Thaddeus McCotter was first elected to Congress in 2002 to serve Michigan's 11th Congressional District, which encompasses western suburban communities in Wayne and Oakland Counties. A politically swing district that is economically driven by manufacturing, its hard working residents have greatly struggled and suffered during the present recession; and this hard truth is at the core of McCotter's fight for them and all Americans who feel their American dream endangered.

McCotter graduated from Detroit Catholic Central High School in 1983, where he was named an All-Catholic and All-State football player. He earned his B.A. (Summa cum laude, first in his class) from the University of Detroit in 1987; a J.D. from the University of Detroit School of Law in 1990; and, the same year, was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan.

McCotter is also a guitar player, who in his youth played in a band with his brother, Dennis, and others under various names, including the Flying Squirrels. Much later, after being elected to the U.S. House, he helped found a bipartisan band, The Second Amendments, which has played for our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Germany, and for numerous charities.

Professionally, McCotter started his own law practice; and, though obviously no longer engaged in private practice, he remains a member of the State Bar of Michigan.snip

---

To confront America’s challenges, we free people must:

Shrink out-of-control government and end its spending binges.

Reform our tax system to reduce the burden on working families and small businesses by cutting taxes, while eliminating loopholes.

Fix our healthcare and Social Security systems for current and future generations.

Empower the private sector for an economy that creates good, well-paying jobs to reduce reliance on imports.

Strengthen and support America’s national security, while winning the war against terrorism.

Have an energy policy based on making all domestic options available.

Implement immigration reform that maintains America’s unique station as the welcoming beacon for freedom-seeking people, while strengthening border security and enforcing laws against employing illegal aliens.

Expand liberty and self-government at home and abroad

Conserve our way of life and its foundations of faith, family, community, and country. snip

Thaddeus McCotter-Learn

gallery_3_15_16254.jpgThaddeus McCotter

Presidential 2012

Website

A lot of folks will need to do a crash course on Thaddeus McCotter if he's going to get in the game.

I have to admit, that his name along spawns a mental image of someone like the guy below.

caledonia_thaddeus.jpg

However... never say never just because of a name. Look who sits in the Oval Office today. :(

NRO: A Hard Days Night

Robert Costa

8/1/11

Pella, Iowa

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter’s whimsical presidential campaign is anchored by one key constituency: insomniacs. The Michigan Republican, who launched an improbable White House bid in July, can credit his (scant) national profile to the viewers of Red Eye, Greg Gutfeld’s snarky 3 a.m. talk show on the Fox News Channel.

Red Eye may be an obscure fiefdom in Rupert Murdoch’s empire, but the 60-minute broadcast has a cult following among night owls. These past few years, McCotter has become a frequent guest, charming the hipster panelists with his droll observations. At first, he was a curiosity — a balding, unsmiling Ichabod Crane. Eventually, as Gutfeld concluded that McCotter’s mumbling, sweater-clad persona was authentic, the congressman became a regular.

(Snip)

By now, Gutfeld must be swimming in McCotter paraphernalia. The congressman is making frequent trips to Iowa and New Hampshire as a full-fledged, no-joke contender. At least that was my impression when we recently spoke in a coffee shop about 50 miles east of Des Moines.

McCotter, slightly perspiring in his dark suit, did not order an espresso, nor did he need one. His wiry fingers moved nonstop, tapping the linoleum table. For an hour, he fidgeted and made his case. It’s easy to see why Gutfeld is intrigued. McCotter is weird, but pleasantly so.

The Michigander’s offbeat style extends to his politics, which are generally of the tea-party school, but notably pro-labor. McCotter hails from Livonia, a suburb northwest of Detroit, where many of his constituents are Big Three employees. He made his presidential announcement there over the Fourth of July weekend, not far from his childhood home, surrounded by his family and a smattering of blue-collar workers, many of whom appreciate McCotter’s vocal support for the 2009 auto bailouts.

(Snip)

Probably has a slightly better chance than my mother (Note: She been dead for 15 years). But I still like him!

• 1 month later...

secupp S.E. Cupp

@ThadMcCotter withdraws candidacy, endorses Mitt Romney. I'll spend the night musing on what could have been...

Given that the Media has ignored him :angry: this is a smart move on his part.

IMO we have not seen the last of him.....and that's a good thing!...no make that a very good thing.

secupp S.E. Cupp

@ThadMcCotter withdraws candidacy, endorses Mitt Romney. I'll spend the night musing on what could have been...

IMO we have not seen the last of him.....and that's a good thing!...no make that a very good thing.

IMO he just wanted to have some fun, wasn't really serious. He didn't seem to do anything to promote his candidacy. Again, IMO.

secupp S.E. Cupp

IMO he just wanted to have some fun, wasn't really serious. He didn't seem to do anything to promote his candidacy. Again, IMO.

secupp S.E. Cupp

You could be on to something. I just really like this guy...his wit (dry as the Mojave desert in a drought) appeals to me, along with of course his politics, and the impression I get that he doesn't take himself to seriously, his ideas yes, but not himself.