The Budget Crisis Explained to a Nineteen-Year-Old

Geee

the_budget_crisis_explained_to_a_nineteen-year-old.html
American Thinker:

A junior in college majoring in finance asked me the other day what I thought of the negotiations coming out of Washington, D.C. I'll call him Arthur.

Not much. The premise is raise taxes now, and a future Congress will make cuts later. Trust us. Trust us. Yeah, sure. How can any Congress promise to tie the hands of a future Congress?

The Demos and MSM have made much of S&P's threatened downgrade of US bonds from AAA if we don't raise the debt limit. Well, the S&P report also said that they need to see significant budgetary reform too, i.e., regardless of lifting the debt limit.

Bottom line: Congress can scramble and pass the debt increase, pat themselves on the back, and still get the bond downgrade because their "Grand Bargain," or whatever they call it, is transparently a fraud. Why don't they call it the Faustian Bargain?

Arthur:
I thought the Gang of Six's proposal was to cut close to $4 trillion off the debt over the next decade through tax changes and cuts, am I wrong about this? And that's pretty lousy; what's the point of even raising the debt ceiling if our credit is going to take a hit either way.

Me:
$4 trillion / 10 = $400 billion per year (assuming that the cuts would be evenly spread, though we know they love to backload them in what they are fond of calling the "out years"). But the deficit is running $1.6 billion / year. So the $4 trillion does not really even begin to get a handle on the problem. How about this for a headline: "Grand Bargain Leaves Deficits of $12 Trillion over 10 Years." Think we'll see that?
Our beloved politicians calculate "cuts" based on what's called the current baseline plus projected increases in spending due to inflation and population growth and "need" and wants and various other fudge factors. Under Obama the baselines have risen dramatically. So a "cut" does not even get us back to where we were in the days of the Bush terror, when deficits ran $400 billion and the Demos were screaming that the sky was falling.

According to the WSJ this morning, the Gang of Six's talking points sound fairly OK on paper, but they're just that: seven pages of broad suggestions. Those will be taken up by the various committee chairmen in the House and Senate, and no one, no one can predict what will come out of that process. Which process will drag out for months and be repeated every year for the next 10 years, long after most of the current actors are out of office, in order to realize the purported "savings."

So the best you can say about such a "plan" is our "public servants" are saying, "Let's kick the can down the road and see if we can make it past the next election."snip