Obama to tweeters: 'People are on my side'

Geee

obama-tweeters-people-are-my-side
Washington Examiner:

President Obama used his Twitter town hall event on Wednesday to cozy up to the middle class and push for a debt deal with Congress, while portraying Republicans as beholden to the interests of millionaires and billionaires.
"The debt ceiling should not be something that is used as a gun against the heads of the American people to extract tax breaks for corporate jet owners or oil and gas companies that are making billions of dollars because the price of gasoline has gone up so high," Obama told the 100 or so people gathered in the East Room. "I think the American people are on my side on this."

After months of partisan sniping over federal spending, deficit reduction and whether to raise the nation's debt limit, Obama said that if Republicans would agree to end tax breaks for the wealthy, "then we could solve our deficit problem."

Republicans argue that raising taxes on the wealthy would shackle the country's biggest spenders, and therefore slow economic growth -- a point raised during the town hall event.

"You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts," Obama fired back. "And the facts are that a modest increase for wealthy individuals is not shown to have [a serious impact] on job growth."

Twitter was abuzz Wednesday with nearly 100,000 tweets using the hashtag "askObama" -- the phrase the White House used to field questions for the event.

Obama spent roughly three to five minutes answering more than a dozen of the 140-character inquiries, which Twitter officials selected based on popularity.

The first selected tweet asked Obama to identify the mistakes he made in handling the recession.snip

President Obama used his Twitter town hall event on Wednesday to cozy up to the middle class and push for a debt deal with Congress, while portraying Republicans as beholden to the interests of millionaires and billionaires.

When will this become one word for the left millionairesandbillionaires, or millionaires&billionaires?