Senate Gives Up July 4 Recess to Vote on Symbolic Millionaires Resolution?

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
obama-to-provide-update-on-debt-ceiling-talks
Fox News:

The Senate returned to Congress Tuesday after canceling its week-long July 4 recess to work on a deal to raise the debt limit, but so far on the schedule is a nonbinding resolution by Democrats expressing a sense of the Senate that households earning $1 million or more need to make "a more meaningful contribution to the deficit reduction effort."

Already a non-starter for Republicans, the august body won't even vote on the resolution until later this week but the timing could be affected by President Obama's meeting with leaders from both parties at the White House Thursday, a meeting the president said Tuesday was intended "to drive toward a final agreement" on the terms of increasing the debt limit beyond its $14.3 trillion ceiling.

Obama also rejected talks of a short-term debt limit increase that would give negotiators more time for a long-term deal, saying Congress should not "kick the can down the road."

"I don't think the American people sent us here to avoid tough problems," he said. "It's in fact what drives them nuts about Washington, when both parties simply take the path of least resistance. And I don't want to do that here."
________

Yes, I can see how hard they worked on this vote... :rolleyes: