Letting Obama Be Obama

Geee

letting-obama-be-obama
American Spectator:

The New York Times calls her Barack Obama’s “old hometown mentor,” “closest friend in the White House,” “all-purpose ambassador,” “skillful envoy,” “emissary,” and the “ultimate Obama insider.” The Washington Post’s Dana Milbank dubs her “the real center of Obama’s inner circle,” with ties to the president that are “deep and personal.” A profile in the Post’s “WhoRunsGov.com,” says she has been involved in “almost all” of Barack and Michelle Obama’s “major decisions.” The Wall Street Journal identifies her as the “essential member” of President Obama’s “inner set.” The Chicago Tribune proclaims her “the president’s right-hand woman.” Rahm Emanuel calls her “a very dear friend” and “valuable ally” to Barack Obama.

And Obama himself calls her one of his “oldest friends,” who is “like a sibling to me…I trust her completely.”

Who is this mystery woman of extraordinary influence? Who is this invisible hand behind Obama? She is Valerie Jarrett, President Obama’s close friend, confidant, and secret weapon, known to Washington insiders, but unknown to the folks in the hinterland.

If conservatives will pardon my comparison, when thinking of Valerie Jarrett’s influence on Barack Obama, I’m mindful of the influence of Judge William P. Clark on Ronald Reagan—minus the ideological chasm. Bill Clark was Reagan’s right-hand man, often literally at his right side. It was Clark who coined the conservative rally cry, “Let Reagan be Reagan.” No one was more inclined to let Reagan act on his instincts, protecting the conservative president from the pragmatists and the moderates, from the détente-niks, from the Rockefeller Republicans and RINO reprobates and blue-blood country-clubbers who would separate Reagan from his true beliefs.snip