The Rev. Robert Schuller Reportedly Ousted from Crystal Cathedral Ministries

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
rev-robert-schuller-reportedly-ousted-from-crystal-cathedral-ministries
Fox News:

The Rev. Robert H. Schuller has been ousted from Crystal Cathedral Ministries, the Ocean County Register reports.

Schuller, 84, who began his ministry in an Orange, Calif., drive-in theater more than 50 years ago, was voted off the board of the Crystal Ministries, which has been plagued by financial problems and familial discord, according to the paper.

Schuller’s son, who was forced from the board three years ago, says his father wanted to enlarge the board, a move that did not sit well with others.

"It's a very sad day and unfortunately, I know how that feels," the younger Schuller said.

According to the paper, the church's financial travails, including a significant drop in donations and dwindling membership, culminated in its filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The church still owes about $7.5 million to unsecured creditors, many of whom are vendors for the cathedral's "Glory of Christmas" pageant. According to a reorganization plan filed by the church last month, they have an offer from Irvine, Calif., developer, Greenlaw Partners LLC, to buy the core buildings for $46 million.

Robert H. Schuller has been at odds with his daughters over how they have chosen to run the church. The cathedral recently switched over from a traditional worship format to a Gospel-style choir -- much to the chagrin of many long-time members. Sheila Schuller Coleman also required choir members to sign a covenant acknowledging Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

The older Schuller publicly lashed out at the contract saying everyone is welcome in the church. Phillip Johnson, the architect who constructed the cathedral's iconic glass sanctuary, was an openly gay man.
________

Pride goeth before a fall...

righteousmomma
Sheila Schuller Coleman also required choir members to sign a covenant acknowledging Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

The older Schuller publicly lashed out at the contract saying everyone is welcome in the church. Phillip Johnson, the architect who constructed the cathedral's iconic glass sanctuary, was an openly gay man.

What does the fact that the architect was gay have to do with Christian marriage (as ordained by God for His people) to be between a man and a woman?

As far as the contract for Gospel singers-- how can anyone be a member of the Body of Christ and fulfill His great commission taking His Gospel (the Good News) to the world without believing in Him.

Sure all people are welcome and can be gay and believers (I know several) but this is a church choir we are talking about here - NOT the Southern California Choir.

IMO, it is just like politics. Money and power. Those two generally don't go well together with religion.

IMO, it is just like politics. Money and power. Those two generally don't go well together with religion.

One small correction:

The politics of Religion is still politics. Having grown up with clergy of the United Methodist Church, there is no difference between clerical and secular politics.

Alas we've seen this sort of thing all to often in the "Low Church".....(by Low Church I mean nondenominational evangelical churches)

righteousmomma

Sometimes I feel like a "motherless child".

I see all of this issue from a completely different viewpoint.

"Money and power" - Yes, I agree the age old battle continues. It is the curse of human nature. Jesus said the same to the Pharisees and Sadducees of His day.

Status, success, ego, self esteem, superiority, pride etc etc etc

The politics of Religion is still politics. Having grown up with clergy of the United Methodist Church, there is no difference between clerical and secular politics.

On the one hand I can understand what you are saying. On the other hand I disagree. There is a huge chasm. Some clergy of all Denominations from Catholic to any Protestant will have "career" oriented clergy. What we call liberal Christians and carnal Christians. But there are also 1000s from priest to pastor to minister that view their "calling" as vital and well, GODLY. What often is scathingly and ignorantly called "fundamental' or "evangelical" broad brushes all of us "Believers" as ignoramuses.

Alas we've seen this sort of thing all to often in the "Low Church".....(by Low Church I mean nondenominational evangelical churches)

Have not a clue to what you mean.

Most non denominational churches and pastors that I know are lovers of God and proclaimers of His Word as found in the Bible hence "evangelical".

In the first place there is no such thing within Christianity as "Low Church". There is The Church which is The Body of Christ and that is not a Denomination nor an Organized Religion but the Way of Life that each of us as individuals choose or not. Within organized Religion there is High and Low but that is not at all the same. Within Christianity as a whole - sure - there will be abuses and abusers.

We are flawed human beings after all.

"But..Without Faith it is impossible to please God. For first one must believe He exists."